18x9.5 wheels don't fit, what did I do wrong? Please help by huracan2015
Started on: 03-12-2015 01:59 PM
Replies: 26 (1051 views)
Last post by: Will on 02-01-2022 10:06 AM
huracan2015

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I did hours of research, got all the parts needed to build coilovers, and ordered some 18x9.5 45mm wheels for the rear. They don't fit. The rim itself measides 10.5 wide which is the extra inch I need for clearance. Those of you with 9.5s, how did you make them fit? My car is an '87 by the way
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have 9.5" wheels, or 10.5" wheels?
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Do you have 9.5" wheels, or 10.5" wheels?

9.5 but measure 10.5 from bead to bead. I know that's normal
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe Torma says they don't fit.

Wheel Offset Diagram
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do they hit? Is it the rims or the tires that interfere? Where do they interfere?
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

What do they hit? Is it the rims or the tires that interfere? Where do they interfere?

I'll add pics later but the rim is about 2 mm away from the stock strut. I'm going to be putting my coilovers, and the sleeve is more than 2 mm so it would hit.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by huracan2015:

9.5 but measure 10.5 from bead to bead. I know that's normal

Not to belabour the point, but I've never heard this before. I thought the width is measured from bead to bead!?
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They measure the width from the inside of the bead, if yours measures 9.5 from inside to inside they're right. Other that that I'm running 8" so I can't help there.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the clearance. It "fits" but once I put on my coilovers, the sleeve will take up all of that gap and then some. I can add a small spacer, maybe 10mm to be safe, but the wheels already stick out pretty much as far as I'm willing to go

[This message has been edited by huracan2015 (edited 03-12-2015).]

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 also, I'm running 18x9.5 rears with a +40 offset and coil overs. I needed to use a 1/4" spacer to clear the shock, you are running +45 offset so I think you would need 1/2" spacer.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, you don't have an '88. The '84-'87 cars don't have as much room in the rear because of the position of the strut.

Make sure you install extended wheel studs if you end up using a spacer. Actually, even if without a spacer I find that the rear doesn't really have much thread engagement.. 6 turns at best with my Motegi wheels.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 03-12-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't have to run the sleeve all the way down to the bolt flange. Cut the spring perch above the weld bead and mount the sleeve on top of it.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not wanting to side-track this discussion... but Fieroguru, is that gizmo some kind of magnetic bubble-level for setting camber?

EDIT: Must be one of These. Cool.

Originally posted by fieroguru:

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-13-2015).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Not wanting to side-track this discussion... but Fieroguru, is that gizmo some kind of magnetic bubble-level for setting camber?

EDIT: Must be one of These. Cool.

Correct.

But now I use these:
http://www.harborfreight.co...gle-gauge-95998.html

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 03-13-2015).]

DisplacementIsKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisplacementIsKingSend a Private Message to DisplacementIsKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
9.5" is a lot of rim, looks good!
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What Fieroguru said.

You can also get different length sleeves and springs so you can adjust where your springs rest down near that weld on the strut. So, your 18x9.5's should work just fine.

We are running 18x8's on the front and 19x8.5 on the rear of my sons 85GT and my 88GT with coil overs using 350 lb rated QA1's.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You don't have to run the sleeve all the way down to the bolt flange. Cut the spring perch above the weld bead and mount the sleeve on top of it.

What springs do you use and how does the travel of the spring match up to the travel of the strut?

I have 12" HAL QA1 springs. They were cheap, but have a fairly high coil density, so they don't have much travel. I wouldn't be comfortable with 10" springs and 8" springs would be coil binding over every speed bump. A 10" spring is as long as can be used with the "high perch" method you outlined, if wheel and tire clearance is the reason to do it that way.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Correct.

But now I use these:
http://www.harborfreight.co...gle-gauge-95998.html

So with that gizmo I could do an alignment at home?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can set CAMBER yourself that way, but that device won't let you set caster or toe. There are lots of methods for DIY alignment around, but they are based on setting up strings for measurements and require reset after every adjustment.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

You can set CAMBER yourself that way, but that device won't let you set caster or toe. There are lots of methods for DIY alignment around, but they are based on setting up strings for measurements and require reset after every adjustment.

I use them for caster as well using the machined flat from the tie rod as a perpendicular reference to caster.

I also have clamp on toe bars for setting toe.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2022 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If it's not a trade secret, what PN of coilover sleeve do you use that works in that position?
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2022 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
If it's not a trade secret, what PN of coilover sleeve do you use that works in that position?

You need a sleeve that is 2" in diameter and 4 3/4" long.
I sell these are part of my level 1 kit which includes the sleeves, strut hat, bump stop and all stainless steel hardware.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2022 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the length I'm not super-concerned. I have found that a normal wood-cutting blade (carbide-tipped) on a chop saw works for cutting aluminium like this.

One thing I noticed with Allstar sleeve is that it centers on the shock using two bores:

This makes it difficult to trim the sleeve to an arbitrary length.

Have you noticed if most coilover sleeves have a diameter increase in the middle, or if the bore is usually constant?

I was looking at these since they are in-stock on Summit. The QA1 60-series shock for which this sleeve is made is a 2" OD shock.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-ck6007

I like the jam nut concept (good idea) which I saw on your coilovers. I am annoyed with set screw coilover nuts, as they damage the threaded sleeve when tightened.

I am wondering what's the probability of these sleeves having a constant bore, or if there's a larger center section which may make cutting to length problematic. From the picture, I don't see the step, but that's more of a stock photo.

What's also weird is that the photo doesn't show a tapered wedge section, though I might have to buy a pair to get more info. Last time I asked QA1 for information via their online fill-form they never got back to me.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2022 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My sleeves are a constant diameter for the bottom 80% of the length.
Depending on how custom the set of coilovers are, I sometimes bore the ID and reduce the OD of the weld bead to allow the sleeve to hang down below the weld sleeve but still not need to rest on the lower flange.

When running the sleeve on the weld bead, with 275 lb/in and 10" springs about 1" lower is when you run out of adjustment. So when higher rates or lower stance is required, the sleeve needs to be slighly below the spring perch.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2022 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Depending on how custom the set of coilovers are, I sometimes bore the ID and reduce the OD of the weld bead to allow the sleeve to hang down below the weld sleeve but still not need to rest on the lower flange.

That sounds like an 88-only trick.

On the 84-87, the strut is more vertical, so if you're running the threaded sleeve on the weld bead so that the wheel rim clears the strut body, you don't have much chance of the tire clearing the spring perch.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2022 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
That sounds like an 88-only trick.

On the 84-87, the strut is more vertical, so if you're running the threaded sleeve on the weld bead so that the wheel rim clears the strut body, you don't have much chance of the tire clearing the spring perch.

I have done the mod on both. It really comes down to wheel, tire, and offset chosen. Here you can see there is plenty of room for the bottom of the sleeve to hang down as long as the tire doesn't bulge past the edge of the rim. The adjuster rings can also be thrown in the lathe to have most of the slot depth removed to make their OD even smaller. I offer a lot of custom options for my customers specific application.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2022 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I did hours of research, got all the parts needed to build coilovers, and ordered some 18x9.5 45mm wheels for the rear. They don't fit. The rim itself measides 10.5 wide which is the extra inch I need for clearance. Those of you with 9.5s, how did you make them fit? My car is an '87 by the way

Here is the clearance. It "fits" but once I put on my coilovers, the sleeve will take up all of that gap and then some. I can add a small spacer, maybe 10mm to be safe, but the wheels already stick out pretty much as far as I'm willing to go

Did the "real numbers" ever get posted here?

C5 Corvette rear wheels: 18x9.5 w/ 61mm offset. Use a 25mm spacer to get down to 36mm offset: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/.../000121-21.html#p813

IE, if you use 18x9.5-45 and a 10mm spacer to bring the offset down to 35, they should fit fine.
Use a longer lug stud with any spacer.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock