Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Question on fixing the temp gauge on 88 fiero.......

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Question on fixing the temp gauge on 88 fiero....... by mnsportsguy1966
Started on: 03-12-2015 05:04 AM
Replies: 7 (209 views)
Last post by: fastblack on 03-12-2015 09:11 PM
mnsportsguy1966

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mnsportsguy1966Send a Private Message to mnsportsguy1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you guys help?....I have been using the wire switching instructions and had no
problem with the easy part of switching at the temp sensor....My question is do you
have to completely remove the complete gauge pod to get to the wires? Right now
I've got the whole pod loose of screws and bolts but not off as the wiring is still hooked
up in the back and don't seem to have room to even see what is what. Do I need to totally
disconnect the wire clusters? If so are there clips to help pop them off? Sorry I 'm stumped
could use some good detailed help....Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a tab your depress on each wiring clip then they pop right out, to remove the whole thing it is 3 total connectors, 2 on the back and 1 under the speedo
mnsportsguy1966

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mnsportsguy1966Send a Private Message to mnsportsguy1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info....did I actually have to remove the whole gauge cluster pod to do this job?
And how do I get the outer grey pod off of the gauge cluster. Are there more screws to remove?
sorry to ask all these questions but I've never done this...
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are talking about the back pod cover, there are three screws on the top, I believe two on the back and two under the bottom. You will just need to unhook the two large plugs on the back of the cluster and switch the wires. All can be done with the pod in the car.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this last week, and I found it much easier to go ahead and remove the pod. One reason is that you will likely have to "reset" your pointer on the gauge, and to do so you have to remove the clear glass front ( and to remove that, you have to remove the gauges from the shroud ( all come out the back). Radio Shack has closed near my house, so I found a convenient Resistor by using the Rheostat from the headlight switch module. The two outer connectors on the rheostat can be adjusted using the thumbwheel and a digital Volt Meter. Set it at 55 ohms, and then connect it between ground and the connector at the engine. Turn on the ignition ( all wires plugged back in) and the gauge should read 260. If it does, your good to go. If it is off a little, might just leave it. If it is off a lot, then gently pry the needle off the gauge, and then gently re-seat the needle in the correct position and press back on. I used a tool normally used for popping the door panel "christmas trees" to pop it off, but I hear a fork will work just as well. It's a very small metal post you are pressing on, so be very careful.

------------------
'87 GT in process!

vette7584

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is this a common problem with the 88's? my gauge pegs to one side
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fastblack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what it's worth, I added in some length of wire to each wire and that seemed to make the whole thing a bit easier. Use a couple different colors to keep them straight

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock