Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  3.1 V6, first turbo build questions (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3.1 V6, first turbo build questions by Renier
Started on: 03-11-2015 12:30 PM
Replies: 87 (3152 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 04-06-2015 08:06 AM
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Renier:
Many thanks for sharing your experience with me, Joseph! So you would strongly recommend a custom manifold after all? Sounds like I should keep the car for the occasional Sunday drives if I plan on using stock manifolds, then save up for custom manifolds. Or are you saying that I should use the stock Fiero manifolds and modify them for use with the 3.1 turbo? How would 2.8 Camaro manifolds do by the way, would they fit (taken I get a custom y-pipe)? I still happen to have some lying around, they seem pretty solid. Don't forget that I'm not looking for that much boost, just something to get me around 200hp, I'd imagine you're working with rather different figures here, yet you did mention that they already nearly have problems stock. Thanks again!

Use log style manifolds if you can find a pair. The picture of the manifolds I used seen in my picture with the turbo posted further up are OE. I simply cut the outlet flange off and welded on a T4 flange, that was the easiest arrangement I've ever accomplished. Years ago I took two front side log style fwd manifolds from a 3400 aluminum head motor, cut the ends off one and welded it back together as a rear log style manifold which I believe only exists for the TGP. Since I was still shy of aluminum heads at the time, I had to "delongate" the bolt holes (yes I said it) in order to get the manifolds to fit on the cast iron heads. I recall having to grind a slight depression in the manifold and use long bolts with a sleeve which allowed me to avoid interference between the bolt head and manifold during tightening. I believe the sleeve added a needed flexibility to expansion and contraction forces that reduced the risk of bolt shearing and loosening.

I would avoid the Fiero manifolds because of my experience with them and the stress of a turbo. They have a tendency to crack and warp under natural aspiration a turbo will only speed up the process. I've warped a cast iron manifold using heat wrap, but I never cracked one. The 3.4 Camaro manifolds are not a good fit in this application. Having to spend extra time performing preventable repairs and adjustments gets old fast. Stick with cast iron and you should be trouble free for a very long time.

IP: Logged
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

They'll be fine for a while but before very long the stock Fiero manifolds will crack and or warp for sure. They already run redhot without a turbo. I've been boosting Fieros since 96 and I couldn't get rid of the exhaust leaks until I finally switched to cast iron. Even 14 gauge steel headers took a beating. You shouldn't heat wrap the exhaust parts between the heads and the turbo either, at least not thoroughly, more of a shield or blanket style approach is better as it promotes warping of cast iron manifolds and surface flaking from the intense heat. It might not be as problematic for a car driven short distances or for brief periods daily but a commuter will take its toll on a well heat wrapped system between the heads and the turbo.

I meant the stock manifolds from the 3.1 motor he bought. And it totally depends, there are lots of people with wrapped manifolds, maybe leave a little space at the flange to allow a little heat to dissipate there.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:
I meant the stock manifolds from the 3.1 motor he bought. And it totally depends, there are lots of people with wrapped manifolds, maybe leave a little space at the flange to allow a little heat to dissipate there.

I'm only referring to wrapped manifolds on turbocharged applications, I conducted a general search over the forum for "cracked manifold" and received a result of 5 pages of threads, of course there may have been two or three threads on intake manifolds (I saw one) but otherwise they were addressing cracked stockers. I'm just giving advice on first hand experience over a number of years with them, cast iron will provide the best service and cars that are subject to daily driving at or above the national average miles per year are more likely to tax the exhaust system in a manner that will bring out any weaknesses especially with a turbo.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes I can be a dick just like bigformula.... Just so you all know who he is after only infesting the forum for 2 weeks. Everyone here knows who I am and I never try to be anyone else. Who is the coward that don't even vaguely provide his location...afraid someone will look for him...? He wouldn't give up till I posted this so here it is.

bigformula

04-04-2015 07:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigformula

oh and I find it hilarious that you say only a dick posts pms, but then you claim that you will do it yourself. I think its funny you are callling yourself a dick. the irony is funny

----- Original Message -----
You cant give it up can you...i didnt admit to any stalking. Ask her yourself. Jennifer and others on here know her. I still talk to her. But i wont give her info to you..get it from someone else. She is on facebook though. I said i was done with you,so dont bother me or ill POST THIS ALL MYSELF. Find someone else to stalk and bully azzhole.

Wow. Your lies are hilarious to. so you admit to stalking Lisa. By claiming you didn't means you did because you are a liar. And now I will add coward to that list
----- Original Message
Post whatever you want, even though its a dick who posts PMs. So it didn't have whatever parts, I don't know I didn't make it. He gets 500 hp out of a carbed Ford V6.

I always carry a gun and have for years for personal protection since I usually have substantial cash around for buying and selling cars and parts and own a few businesses. Lots of people, even cops carry guns...that is not cowardly. But I guess soldiers who have them are all cowards too. You have to face it your nothing more than a dipshit bully. I don't get bullied. Everyone already here knows I will shoot any threats. Being in good health is not being in your prime ******* . No im not a prize fighter. But im not a scared little old man either.

Fiero Lisa is an old friend of mine for many years. I don't stalk anyone. I don't date anyone over 30 except as a rarity and never have. Ive been proposed to and proposed to quite a few of them. One of my last gfs I dated for 4 years and broke up with when she was 23. My current gf is in college and 23 or 24. So what. Your just jealous and wont admit it. Im more fun to be with for them than the punks like you that abuse them. You couldn't find one of them say a bad word on me. I never make any attempt to hide any of that if you searched the forum. All those on here I know personally, wont say anything bad either because they know me for who I am. Ones on here who do say anything derogatory have never met me or known me. Im thru with you now, since it only makes you feel good about yourself when you can bully people you want. Don't expect anything further from me so you can now ****kk off.

It doesn't matter who built it. Its not possible on stock injectors. Nor is it possible on a stock fuel pump. Nor is it possible on the turbo you used. its not possible. so quit lying.

funny about shooting someone. no need for you to walk around with a gun if you are supposedly in the prime of your life. and I laugh at you claiming you will throw the first punch then if facing retaliation you will shoot someone. You are a coward. I am posting what you said up so everyone can see it.

who was fierolisa and why did you stalk a girl 30+ years younger than you? this search feature is turning up a lot of interesting facts about you

That engine was completely built and dynoed by a friend at a Nascar teams engine shop. He told me that everything in it parts wise was off the shelf stuff (I assume that means stock). Remember this was 15 years ago now so I don't remember every detail. It was put together by him just like a race engine but completely streetable. I really don't care whether you believe anything or not, I don't believe anything you said either so I guess were even. I older, but hardly frail. Im in the best of health. My own doctor says im like a 40 year old. I don't know about you, maybe your a 25 year old punk, maybe not. Im not afraid of anyone. I punch you, you punch me back and I shoot you. A little more of your research will show I would without a blink. Your point ?

you claimed that your turbo setup made 275+hp or "just under 300 hp" on stock injectors. that is a lie. a simple search turned up that tidbit. everything else you say doesn't matter anymore after that. noone cares about your misconception with racecar drivers or anything else. you lied about your setup. everything else you say to me is a lie as well.

if you want to punch me to get my attention we can meet up. I saw a pic of you. youre frail. not worried about you at all.

So what are some of these so called lies I told, curious ? I have always backed up anything I said about myself or my cars. Ive even posted pics and videos to prove to doubters. Being called a liar by someone else is not proof of anything. Just because someone else has different results of anything does not mean either is lying. Sure Ive made mistakes on things ive said (ie/ on Danica winning races in other series...I was not aware of her not doing that as a major team would not just give someone a job driving and a multi million dollar salary with no skills...so that is not a lie on my part, just a misconception). I could prove anything on myself, where no one here knows that you know anything about anything you didn't read from a textbook.

Sometimes people only get the message from physical action. Cops do it all the time. For your information, the spitting was not directed at you if you bother to read the post. It said ; in this and other posts by people deserved it but a punch seemed more deserving in your case to get your attention.

My 3.1 turboed engine had the 2.8 intake system (without the oem air cleaner system), oem exhaust manifolds and the DS1 turbo system. It all ran perfectly for 100,000 without a single problem. Theres 100 witnesses here to verify it. So I have every right to post my experience in his thread where you only have what you've read somewhere as far as anyone knows.

bigformula

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-05-2015 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigformulaSend a Private Message to bigformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
roger what does any of that have to do with this guys thread? why are you trolling this mans thread with personal messages? why did you come back here to post all this when the OP clearly stated, and I stated to take it to personal messages? now here you are, the old wise mature man trashing this guys thread once again. you should be ashamed roger.

threatening to spit on someone, then threatening to punch someone in the face, then threatening to shoot someone. you are a class act roger. no wonder you carry a gun everywhere you go with the amount of people you probably threaten on a daily basis. and coming back into this thread which has nothing to do with anything the op was asking is YOU being a complete and utter troll. thanks for posting the personal messages though. I guess you somehow think threatening someone is going to make you look good? you did exactly what I wanted you to do. you were played and you showed how immature you are.

you claim I have been infesting this forum for two weeks, but you have been infesting it with your lies for 16 years. why do you lie roger?

you left out one pm I sent yesterday so I will add it.

you were the one that said you were done. then you come back posting again. its obvious it is you who can't give it up. i guess the coward(you) have something to prove huh? how much do you pay the college girls to hang out with you? your life is pathetic. i can't imagine being you and stalking women and being a pervert, and being a liar about it all. I am guessing you were sexually abused as a child by an uncle. feel free to post these personal messages how you are a liar and a pervert and a stalker. no skin off my nose.

[This message has been edited by bigformula (edited 04-05-2015).]

Renier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RenierSend a Private Message to RenierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

Use log style manifolds if you can find a pair. The picture of the manifolds I used seen in my picture with the turbo posted further up are OE. I simply cut the outlet flange off and welded on a T4 flange, that was the easiest arrangement I've ever accomplished. Years ago I took two front side log style fwd manifolds from a 3400 aluminum head motor, cut the ends off one and welded it back together as a rear log style manifold which I believe only exists for the TGP. Since I was still shy of aluminum heads at the time, I had to "delongate" the bolt holes (yes I said it) in order to get the manifolds to fit on the cast iron heads. I recall having to grind a slight depression in the manifold and use long bolts with a sleeve which allowed me to avoid interference between the bolt head and manifold during tightening. I believe the sleeve added a needed flexibility to expansion and contraction forces that reduced the risk of bolt shearing and loosening.

I would avoid the Fiero manifolds because of my experience with them and the stress of a turbo. They have a tendency to crack and warp under natural aspiration a turbo will only speed up the process. I've warped a cast iron manifold using heat wrap, but I never cracked one. The 3.4 Camaro manifolds are not a good fit in this application. Having to spend extra time performing preventable repairs and adjustments gets old fast. Stick with cast iron and you should be trouble free for a very long time.

What cars could I find the log style manifolds on? I could have a look around at USA junkyards or such for them, maybe. Thanks again!

And is it possible that someone please do something about these arguments in this thread? It's getting severely out of hand here....
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Renier:
What cars could I find the log style manifolds on? I could have a look around at USA junkyards or such for them, maybe. Thanks again!

And is it possible that someone please do something about these arguments in this thread? It's getting severely out of hand here....

For the 60 degree V6 they are pretty consistent up to the 3400 with the wrap around rear exit. You can use that arrangement and run the exhaust pipe exit for the flange back around to where you want to mount the turbo, the majority of my installs had the turbo sitting over the bell housing although the rear mount arrangement I have now is much better leaving more room up top.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 04-05-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know why that happened...I copied all of it to paste. Thanks for putting the part in that got missed. I don't have any problems with people at all except thieves and jerks like you. Like I said, I don't hide like you obviously do. Does your mommy always let you use the cmptr without asking her ? Even your name shows you think your a big shot...to me just means your fat. Sorry YOUR life is so pathetic...mines awesome.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock