4 Banger Starter R&R by Keel
Started on: 03-10-2015 01:16 PM
Replies: 4 (119 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-10-2015 10:40 PM
Keel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2015 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did an oil change on my Fiero, and lately it's been cranking slow. So I figured I'd look at the connections.
Well the starter casing for the motor (black part) and the end cap for the motor are loose, it looks like there should be 3 bolts holding the end plate, or at least 2. There is only one..
Can you snake the starter out of the car without undoing other parts? it has the Original converter on it (pellet) .
Figured I'd ask if there is a trick to getting it out, or what has to be removed..
Thanks..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can't just unbolt exhaust from header and lower exhaust a little. I changed mine with out a cat. in the way, so that doesn't help.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2015 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the starter on my 84 out without pulling any other parts by sliding the starter over to the passenger side and trying different angles to get it to slide out. It took a bit of moving it this and that way to do it, but it can be done. If I remember right. the nose of the starter drops down when you hit the right spot, and then you have to move it around to find the spot to clear the solenoid to clear and it will come out.

If you can, replace the starter with one from a 3800 motor. I got one for a 98 Pontiac Grand Grand Prix GT. It's much smaller and lighter the the original starter, and makes the job a piece of cake. If you do this, you will thank me and pat yourself on the back. Try a search as there is a bunch of info in the forum about this starter.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changing starter can, often does, require shim(s). Using later design can need different shim setup.
See my Cave, Starter

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock