Smells Like Gas When Driving by Oolab1
Started on: 03-09-2015 04:06 PM
Replies: 14 (984 views)
Last post by: Arns85GT on 03-15-2015 05:18 PM
Oolab1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just like it says. Now that it's getting warmer I'm starting to roll the windows down (well actually only the driver window, since the passenger window is holding my coat hangar door handle in place lol) and I realized that I can strongly smell gas when I'm cruising around. The funny part is it's ONLY when I'm driving. If it's idling there's no smell, and there's no smell when it's sitting there either. I don't think it's a hole because I'm not losing any gas when the car isn't turned on. What's stumping me is the fact that it ONLY smells like gas when I'm moving, and although it's worse under acceleration it still reeks when I'm just coasting along in gear with my foot off the throttle. As soon as I stop though it's fine. Should I be worried about it blowing up? What could it be? Thanks in advance for the help. (85 SE 2.8)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vapor canister filter?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should ALWAYS be worried about blowing up....

The vacuum line may have come off the canister. The filler tube has a vent line too...maybe loose.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-09-2015).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suspect the filler vent tube or the filler neck. The sloshing around while driving would push it up to a connection or broken area. Maybe even the gasket around the sending unit at the top of the tank. A careful inspection from underneath may reveal some gasoline stains around a leak area.
DisplacementIsKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisplacementIsKingSend a Private Message to DisplacementIsKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel Vapor and fiero do not go well together lol.

All kidding aside I would also check the fuel filler neck vent tube, mine was rusted threw but the main tube was still fine, found out while stripping the back end.

[This message has been edited by DisplacementIsKing (edited 03-09-2015).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A very good piece of Advise: Don't drive it until you fix it ! Burning cars are Not a good thing !
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The common problem for this is either a bad O-Ring on the top of the tank, or the filler vent tube broke the seal around the tank.

Edit to add: jack up the Fiero and look under the tank, you should be able to see where it is leaking from, both would cause no leak at idle and not moving but when sloshed around it hits the leak point, if the Fiero has over 110,000 miles on it the pump has been changed and who ever did it could have cracked something.
to explain: GM pumps are designed to last 100,000 miles they tend to go out at about 110,000ish miles.
------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 03-10-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, be careful! You can remove the drivers side rear wheel and wheel well liner to inspect the fuel filler vent tube. If it is a small rusted area it can be repaired with JB Weld. If the gas tank has never been dropped you may need to do so to replace the vent and fuel hoses.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of good info.
One other thing, since not everyoine describes smells the same. Do you still have a catalytic converter?
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey sorry for not responding. I didn't mean to be rude I've just been really swamped this week and couldn't check the advice. I've glanced under the car both before I've started driving and right after I park, but there doesn't APPEAR to be any gas leaking. Just water dripping off as far as I know...

I believe the bolts holding my manifold onto one of my cylinders on the rear bank are rusted through so it might be letting some exhaust out a crack there, if that might be the problem? I figured it was close to the passenger compartment so maybe...

No, I do not have a converter anymore. Oops... for the record it was stock still and totally empty. Just a cracked resonator on the exhaust line haha. But would that be the issue while I'm driving? I figured it would let the gas smell out the back and it would never reach me since I'm moving forward, or is this not true?

Thanks for the help and patience. This smell is giving me a headache and I want to roll the windows down.

Edit: no, this smell is DEFINITELY gasoline. It smells just like when I'm filling up the tank at the station, there's no mistaking it...

[This message has been edited by Oolab1 (edited 03-14-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fuel filler is right behind your head in a Fiero...I hope you get a chance to look at it soon...
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 2.8 once had a gasoline smell like you described. Crawled under to take a peek and I noticed the original starter appeared to look brand new right out of the box. After starting the engine I took another peek and couldn't see anything so I waved my hand around the starter and I could feel a mist hitting the back of my hand. There was a very fine hole in my fuel line aimed right at the starter keeping it clean & shinny.

The rusty fuel line was the result of acid dripping down from the battery during the previous owners watch. I never suspected anything however when I bought the car it had a brand new battery tray welded in place. I should of looked further.

Doesn't hurt to take a peek.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

My 86 2.8 once had a gasoline smell like you described. Crawled under to take a peek and I noticed the original starter appeared to look brand new right out of the box. After starting the engine I took another peek and couldn't see anything so I waved my hand around the starter and I could feel a mist hitting the back of my hand. There was a very fine hole in my fuel line aimed right at the starter keeping it clean & shinny.

The rusty fuel line was the result of acid dripping down from the battery during the previous owners watch. I never suspected anything however when I bought the car it had a brand new battery tray welded in place. I should of looked further.

Doesn't hurt to take a peek.

Spoon

Uh oh... This seems possible since just a month or two ago my battery finally died for good for some reason (tried to push-start it with another car before we towed it in... pushing it the wuarter mile back down the street with no gloves in -7 was NOT fun haha) and the coolant line broke in the line right near the battery a short while later, not to mention all the excessive rust that has eaten away most of the metal panel below where the battery was (though the entire thing is rusted to hell so it's hard to say ). I just read about that problem you had in another post earlier today, and thought I might check things for a "mist" like you describe. I had no idea rust holes could be that small, but I guess the hole has to start somewhere right?

As soon as my puddle of melted snow and leaking oil dries up enough I'll crawl under and take a look (hopefully it's gonna be 64 on Monday!) at the tank more closely and at the filler tube and starter as well. Thanks again for all the advice! Everyone here is so helpful (and has an awesome car, too ), I just hope one day I'll be able to have a chance to show my gratitude and return the favor, maybe with a write-up of my own!
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I had a battery acid leak, it was because the battery slid into the belts. The battery tray was completely rotted away, & I ordered replacement parts. Well, apparently not enough of them. Eventually I just had the battery relocated to the front.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The most common problem is the vapour cannister. If the intake on it gets disconnected it will really stink. I would check the tube that goes in the bottom, plus the othes.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock