3800sc swap which fuel pump? by vette7584
Started on: 03-09-2015 09:15 AM
Replies: 12 (1187 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 03-11-2015 02:36 PM
vette7584

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ep376 or ep381 fuel pump? which one?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vette7584:

ep376 or ep381 fuel pump? which one?

Neither !

HFP 255LPH Fuel Pump Pontiac Fiero 1985 - 1988

http://www.highflowfuel.com...fiero-1985-1988.html
vette7584

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks! will get one of these!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am happily running a DW 200 (255 LPH) pump on a basically stock 3800 SC Series II engine with a 3.4 pulley. It is quiet, has a three year "No Fault" warranty, and a decent price.

http://www.deatschwerks.com...l-pumps/dw200-detail

Nelson
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Neither !

HFP 255LPH Fuel Pump Pontiac Fiero 1985 - 1988

http://www.highflowfuel.com...fiero-1985-1988.html

Lifetime warranty, they claim it outflows the Walbro, and it's cheaper too! I would like to know how many people are running it and how these pumps are working out in the real world. If they work as advertised, this would be a better alternative than the Walbro or even the Deatschwerks pumps.

The Deatschwerks pumps are nice, but they require modification to the Fiero sending unit in order to use them. If the HFP pumps are as good as advertised, they would probably be the best ones to use for 3800 SC and Turbo swaps.

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

bomluuk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure I'm going to get crap for this, but I'm just running the stock Fiero pump.
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bosch 044.

Only downside is it's loud as hell.

Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought that hfp255lph pump but havent dropped the tank to install It yet. What is entailed in the wiring ? Is it plug and play or do I have to solder the correct connector on and if so where do i get the connector from?Thanks, pics would be awesome.
Louis

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

vette7584

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i will be ordering the pump recommended by nosrac today, not sure when i will install it. another question, has anyone heard of or done this "hot wire" method i have ready about in regards to the fuel pump? benefits? thanks
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

I bought that hfp255lph pump but havent dropped the tank to install It yet. What is entailed in the wiring ? Is it plug and play or do I have to solder the correct connector on and if so where do i get the connector from?Thanks, pics would be awesome.
Louis

HFP's website has pictures of the pump. It looks like the pump does have different wiring terminals than an OE/stock Fiero pump, and the kit includes a new harness connector and pigtail. So yes, it does appear as though you are going to need to splice in the supplied connector pigtail when you upgrade to the HFP pump.

Originally posted by vette7584:

i will be ordering the pump recommended by nosrac today, not sure when i will install it. another question, has anyone heard of or done this "hot wire" method i have ready about in regards to the fuel pump? benefits? thanks

Aftermarket performance fuel pumps typically draw more current (amps) than factory pumps do. So if you are installing any aftermarket performance fuel pump into a Fiero tank, I highly recommend you do the "hot wire" mod as I have it explained here: http://www.gmtuners.com/fiero/hot_wire.htm
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 255lph pump is my second pump purchased from HFP. I got the 320lph and the 255lph pumps. The 320lph is supposedly installed in a 3800 turbo and the 255lph will be installed in a highly modded 3800SC this summer. I will post up some pics of the 255lph pump if I can get to it easily enough.

I did not install the 320lph but plan on installing the 255lph one. If my 88 coup had the 2.8 V6 it would have been installed already.
PFF
System Bot
DonP

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986 Fiero GT:

Bosch 044.

Only downside is it's loud as hell.

Your right about that. I'm looking for a way isolate the pump. Using the same clamp as you are. haven't found anything yet to quiet it up.

DonP
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DonP:

Your right about that. I'm looking for a way isolate the pump. Using the same clamp as you are. haven't found anything yet to quiet it up.

DonP

Get an exhaust hanger bracket from the parts store that has a rubber strip with holes cut in it (this rubber strip is heavy duty as it is designed to hold up exhaust). Mount the clamp holding your pump to the rubber strip and then mount the other end of the rubber strip to the chassis (cut the rubber strip to the desired length) - leaving enough length so the fuel pump clamp isn't touching the metal chassis/body of the car. This will allow the pump to move a little bit so make sure that isn't going to cause problems. The rubber hanger strip should add quite a bit of isolation to the pump body which should quiet it up significantly.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 03-11-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock