Reviving a Seldom Used Fiero by FieroLou
Started on: 03-09-2015 01:41 AM
Replies: 9 (470 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 03-22-2015 03:01 PM
FieroLou

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLouSend a Private Message to FieroLouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking to feed the Fiero addiction and get a new Fiero. My 85 duke is going to be needing a bunch of front end and suspension work soon, and I would rather have a cleaner Fiero with a few more features I want.

I'm looking at an optioned out 86 automatic V6 SE. I think its a fairly solid car, based on an inspection and test drive I gave it, however, it has been driven only about 1000 miles in the past 15 years, at even intervals. The owner also says he runs it once a month to keep it sound. This Fiero would be replacing my DD.

I am hoping to get the car fairly cheaply, and will have time and money to do some general tune up things before it becomes my driver. The struts, shocks, ball joints, and brakes were all replaced 14 years ago. Glass and seals were replaced 6 years ago. I plan on needing new tires.

What should I look out for? What should I replace? Should I stay clear of something driven so rarely, knowing I will be depending on it?

Another question, and possible deal breaker is this: the 1-2 shift and WOT 3-2 downshift are considerably harder than my 2M4. Should this be a concern?

Thank you all for you help.

------------------
1985 Pontiac Fiero 2M4

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, it sounds like a good find.
'Most of the time' they just sit, NO monthly start, no ball joints, shocks, struts, glass, seals are ever replaced, ever.
Just do a basic tune up (plugs wires cap rotor timming) or at least check them, they might not have any wear being drivin so little, change all fluids (including the trans, ) and you will prob be good to go.

Edit to fix my mis reading

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 03-10-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what you said it sounds like both cars are automatics, right? I agree that its good that it was started every month and it sounds like a decent car. You may find that the front shocks will need replacing just based on age and possibly the rear struts too just based on age. Of course make sure the heater blower housing is free of debri and leaves and critters. I would change the engine oil too and then start using it. Good luck!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would NOT use synchromesh in an automatic transmission.

Perhaps sardonyx misread the description......
FieroLou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLouSend a Private Message to FieroLouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to thank everyone for their input.

No one mentioned internal gaskets of the engine or anything. I suppose there should be minimal concern for those knowing it was started and run monthly? Knowing I want it for a DD, that has been a growing concern of mine.

I am really thinking about scooping it up, pending what everyone here, and my mechanic thinks. Unfortunately, the car is a distance away, and will only be able to check with my mechanic over the phone.

------------------
1985 Pontiac Fiero 2M4

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you have made an awesome score. Congratulations and welcome to the forum!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 25 year old car as a daily driver is never a sure thing. The wiring is old and brittle, as are the gaskets. You could drive it on short trips for days with no problem, but a long trip or high speed could set something off....and then problems seem to happen in bunches. Winter driving will rust the car no matter how careful you are. If you are willing to put up with a few surprises, the car you are looking at sounds as good as any.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bushing can fail from rust etc.
Brakes and Cooling problems are very common for parked cars.
Example: Coolant can go "bad" just sitting and causes WP seal problems, system "rust," etc.

maybe start See my Cave, Coolant Fill and coolant section then read brakes and suspension sections.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

FieroLou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLouSend a Private Message to FieroLouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you everyone for your input and help. For what its worth saying, I ended up buying it. Eventually, I'll probably start a thread to show it off and showcase what I do to it. I'm in the process of giving it a proper tune up and flushing all of the fluids. With all of that done, and probably a fresh battery, I think it should be a strong car.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock