is there an easier way ? windshield molding removal by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 03-06-2015 02:25 PM
Replies: 11 (415 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 03-09-2015 10:39 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to remove the windshield molding, would be easy if it was soft, but it's Hard as a rock. any "Easier ways" of getting it out , besides just a razor blade ? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No and you will destroy the trim...
Trim is "glue" in same glue as windshield.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you talking about the roof panel / A pillars ? Have you tried a little heat (hairdryer or heat gun....just be careful not to put too much heat)?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Know I'm going to destroy the Trim. I am pulling the roof. the trim has to be out of the way to get the roof panel OFF. I just don't want to risk Digging up the roof panel while cutting on rock hard trim.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I Know I'm going to destroy the Trim. I am pulling the roof. the trim has to be out of the way to get the roof panel OFF. I just don't want to risk Digging up the roof panel while cutting on rock hard trim.

I'm pulling my roof today as well. I'm probably not being quite as careful as you'll have to be since I'm not re-using any panels or trim off the car. Having said that, I already sold the panels so I'll try not to damage them too much for the new owner. I used a flathead screwdriver to remove the top part of the "T" trim that goes around between the windshield and the roof panel. I don't think it's possible to remove it so that it can be re-used. Once the panel is out of the way, I'll go back and remove the remaining part of that trim piece.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had some that were so hard that the only way to remove them without removing the windshield (or breaking it) was to use a die grinder with a thick cutoff wheel & grind them out. Just have to be careful not to grind any of the fiberglass & stay off of the windshield.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that's an idea ! (a lot of smoke, I'll bet ) Thanks, I knew there was a better way than a linoleum knife !
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got lucky, a utility knife cut right out. Thanks
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be crossing this bridge this summer to do some fiberglass repair around the top of the roof. I'll wait for the hottest summer day, let it sit out in the sun all day, and hope for the best.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it too late for you to take & post some pictures of the roof removal?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All Done. You MUST use a HEAT GUN from underneath and on top !! The thickness of the material of the roof panel is a joke, it's like trying to remove glued on PAPER! Go VERY SLOWLY, & keep it hot. If you are REAL lucky and Patient, you may get it off without breaking it No didn't) but no problem, Have to cut it around there for the chop.
PFF
System Bot
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you find a new seal?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock