Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
   Lowest drop you can put with 18in. Wheels?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Lowest drop you can put with 18in. Wheels? by Scott2scott
Started on: 03-05-2015 03:19 PM
Replies: 17 (401 views)
Last post by: Scott2scott on 03-08-2015 02:54 PM
Scott2scott

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well since im at the end of my swap and fastback switch. I just so happened to find a set of black and chrome lip 18 in rims and tires for $130 bucks . So i couldnt pass the deal up. Now the car went from factory 14s to 18s it sits up higher now . My question is how low can i drop this thing without an clearing issues?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2015 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is your wheel/tire combo the same diameter as the stock wheel/tire combo you replaced? If so, you don't have any more gap than before, but it looks like you do because the tire profile is a lot smaller and the wheels are larger.

If it is different, your speedometer/odometer are also reading wrong. You should fix that as well.

What year is your car? 88s have different suspension, so what options are even available to lower the car, are different. Many lowering spring manufacturers also no longer produce springs for the 84-87 cars, so you're limited to the Eibachs there, and those only come in 1" or 1.5" drop I think.
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is a 84 with stock springs. But i have a set off my 86 gt v6 . My stock wheels are the 14s and the new ones are 225/40/18 it looks like the car is sitting alot higher . If my math is right the car is 2in higher now. I was thinking of just cutting my coils to drop the car abit maybe 1 1/2 in. Or whatever it takes to drop and level it out front and back. Im just looking for a simple inexpensive fix.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2015 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the tire size on those stock 14" wheels?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Normally when you have larger diameter rims, you put on lower profile tires resulting in the same overall diameter. If you followed the recommendations for the tires, it should set exactly where it was as already mentioned. The larger rim MAY give you a false optical illusion that it sets higher.
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old stock tire is 215/60r14 New is 225/40r18 So the car hight has gone up about one inch. It will throw my speedo off about 2 mph. I just dont like how hight is it now. It reminds me of peolpe that put like 28s or30s on a caprice. Lol The front gt bumper is like over 12in. In the center off the ground. Thats high. To high for my taste. And at top of wheel to fender in front is like 3 1/2 gap. But from the side of the same wheel to bottom lower side like at back of the wheel is like 2 1/2. So im sure if i lower it to much it wont be able to turn . So im thinking a 1 1/5 drop should be safe enough.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your stock tires are 24.2 inches in diameter.
Your new tires are 25.1 inches in diameter. (BTW, same diameter as stock 215/60/15 used on the lace wheels on the GTs.)
Perhaps your suspension has not settled after having the car up in the air?
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont think so. I did this thursday So two days ago. I still would like to lower it .
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-07-2015 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your car is sitting less than 1/2" higher than stock. The difference in radius is how far the center line of the axle was moved. So about 1/2" drop will put it back to stock heigh, and about 1" might be as low as you want to go with the drop. If the fronts are that wide, more drop than that might result in rubbing, especially if the offset is different enough to have move the tires much.
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thank you ill guess ill start with a 1 in Drop . How about the rear? Does the car sit level with stock ? Or shôuld i do 1 up front and 1 1/5 in rear? Will that look ok and sit level still?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-07-2015 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott2scott:

Ok thank you ill guess ill start with a 1 in Drop . How about the rear? Does the car sit level with stock ? Or shôuld i do 1 up front and 1 1/5 in rear? Will that look ok and sit level still?

All I can say is you'll have to measure and decide what looks best to you.

I have the ST lowering springs on my car (they are not made any more), which are a ~1.6" drop all around. This is what it looks like:

PFF
System Bot
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that looks good. well since my new wheels about the same size as the lace ones. does that mean 1.5 should be ok? I think so. im here in florida we don't have bumps and hills . its pretty flat here. other than some speeds bumps here and there.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-07-2015 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott2scott:

that looks good. well since my new wheels about the same size as the lace ones. does that mean 1.5 should be ok? I think so. im here in florida we don't have bumps and hills . its pretty flat here. other than some speeds bumps here and there.

The front tires are 205 wide on the stock lace wheels, not 225. That means your tires are almost a full inch wider than stock front lace wheels at the contact patch. Depending on what the offset of your new wheels are, you may see rubbing much earlier than if you had stock size tires on the stock lace wheels.

You'll have to measure how much space you have at full turn, and at full compression of the shocks/springs, to see where it might rub, and if it would rub with a 1.5" drop. I'm not going to tell you it will be fine, because I don't know for sure, and I don't want you coming back on here to yell at me when it isn't ok.

Like the saying goes, measure thrice, cut once.
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldnt yell at anyone for giving input or advise. Yea tomorrow ill measure wheel in a turn and see what i get it.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my 87 with 225/40/18's "before" with stock springs, and "after" with 1" lowering springs.
Before

After

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 03-08-2015).]

Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny thing is . Thats the same wheels i just got. Lol So i guess 1in drop it is then. Fiero work is on hold today while doin a brake job on my trailblazer i just broke one of those slide clip things . Now sitting here looking at it. With truck jacked up wheel off and me playing on forum now. I found one to replace it but it comes in a whole kit for $17 bucks when all i need is one part. I didnt expect to do brakes on my truck this week. After buying wheels and muffer and glasspacks fuel pump. , coolant hoses and all small stuff.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2015 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those wheels/tires do look like they might rub with a 1.5" drop.
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok 1in. drop it is then. that's tomorrow project on top of my harness and computer should come in as well. and today I started cutting the new cherry bomb exhaust system. cherry bomb extreme and two 12in glasspacks with no cat. that should sound good. lol but back to the lowing questions. now now that I figured out what drop I want. so I can cut one coil off the tops my stock springs then? that should be 1in. that's should be fine right? im at the end of my project and spent a lot . not trying to be cheapskate or ghetto just trying to be abit savvy. as still need paint and some odds and ends that money could be put to.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock