what is "entailed" by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 03-05-2015 01:52 PM
Replies: 12 (321 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 03-06-2015 09:04 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using a 4t65E trans and a 3.4 Camaro engine with Fiero top end. What "wiring changes are needed and what computer (stock wires for the 3.4) but how to make the trans work (not using a "separate" ECM) ??? Thanks "Link" anywhere ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 192
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4T60/3.4 will work w/ Fiero computer.

Someone w/ more knowledge will have to chime in if you are using the 4T65E.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2015 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will need a separate trans controller for the 4t65e.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"(not using a "separate" ECM) " ------------ " You will need a separate trans controller for the 4t65e." that's what I'm trying to get away from.
I already HAVE a rebuilt 4t65E-HD sitting here. Can't the "same Reprogrammed ECM" control BOTH the 3.4 AND the 4t65E ??
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 192
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not with the OBDI ECU from the Fiero.
The 3.4 would have to be set up to run with a PCM that would run the tranny.
My best advice would be to contact DarthFiero.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2015 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

"(not using a "separate" ECM) " ------------ " You will need a separate trans controller for the 4t65e." that's what I'm trying to get away from.
I already HAVE a rebuilt 4t65E-HD sitting here. Can't the "same Reprogrammed ECM" control BOTH the 3.4 AND the 4t65E ??

Then you need a different transmission which doesn't require an electronic control module, like the 440t4. The 4t65e will require a separate trans controller. You cannot control it with the Fiero ECM.

You can buy a different aftermarket ECM that supports controlling both the engine and transmission you're using, and maybe it will work. But expect to pay $$$$ for one that does.
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperClick Here to Email Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 ecm also controls the trans, right? If so, then why not use that one? It won't be plug and play, but probably not any harder than wiring in a 3800
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2015 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tuna Helper:

The 3.4 ecm also controls the trans, right? If so, then why not use that one? It won't be plug and play, but probably not any harder than wiring in a 3800

The Camaro/Firebird PCM can control the 4L60e, but I don't know if it will control the 4t65e.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like it will just be easier to put a 3800 In to it with the 4t65e and be done. (this cars going to get chopped, widened, different engine/trans anyway. just curious if a '98 3800 ECM "Could" control a 3.4 so it would have OBD2.) thanks
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2015 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Sounds like it will just be easier to put a 3800 In to it with the 4t65e and be done. (this cars going to get chopped, widened, different engine/trans anyway. just curious if a '98 3800 ECM "Could" control a 3.4 so it would have OBD2.) thanks

No, the 3.4 is not OBD2, and does not have the appropriate sensors for it.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasClick Here to Email lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a sled-o-matic 4t60-E with Grand Am '96 ECM w/3100 V6. It's the same ECU as the 95 F-body 3.4 ...
For some reason it's not going into 4th gear but that ECM is running in a Fiero (mine) just fine. I didn't do the conversion though...so don't ask me anything. Bought it swapped with a bad head gasket and then I had a 3400 longblock swapped in rather than spending money on 3100 heads...

All the 4TXX-E transmissions should run the same way. The HD or non-HD just has to do with a physical part, not the programming.

The problem with the F-body 3.4 ECM/older 3100 OBD1 ECMs is that they are not reprogrammable. They are also DIS, so you'd have to convert to DIS which is not a big deal...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 03-06-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannClick Here to Email cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4L60e(camaro also used in S10) transmissions could have shift pressure solenoid like the 4T65. between 1993 and 1996 they went through some changes. 94 and 95 could have standard torque converter or PWM converter. Also there were a few different PCMs for them.
A 1995 S10 with automatic, 2wd, could have 3 different PCMs for 3.4. with out pressure solenoid, with PS but without PWM and with PS, PWM.
If you can find a Camaro/S10 PCM for 3.4 with PWM torque converter control and shift pressure solenoid you should be able to make it work. The biggest issue is going to be is how it gets it's crank and cam signal. If the 3.4 you have has the hole for a crank sensor and notches on the crank, it will make that easier also. Or if you can get Camaro/S10 timing cover and components. By what I have looked at so far, if you have to use a distributor, it is not likely to find a PCM that will work.
What year Camaro engine is it? What is the broadcast code number on the transmission? Should be a aluminum tag riveted to the housing near the passenger output housing.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 03-06-2015).]

cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannClick Here to Email cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just thought of another option. 98 to early 2000s Astro, S10, Cseries with 4.3 PCM.
Still uses distributor. but I think it has a crank sensor externally. The fuel rates and tables would have to edited. But I think the components are all there to make it work. Little will be plug and play. Get ready to study plenty of wiring diagrams.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock