Rear Spoiler by Keel
Started on: 03-05-2015 11:20 AM
Replies: 6 (608 views)
Last post by: Keel on 03-06-2015 07:22 AM
Keel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2015 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a leak at the spoiler stands, so I took it off, and because the Fiero store gaskets were not as wide as the stands base, I reused the stock ones with some black RTV, The problem is I managed to split the stand at the base from being a Bull in a China Shop!!
How does one install them to the deck lid and have the nuts tight enough, but not so tight the stand cracks, at the base.
I have a set of stands to replace the cracked ones, I just have to paint them, and like to not make the same mistake again..
The ones on the car are holding the spoiler tight,just letting water in from the split, So, I would like to fix the split/crack.
Anyone know what they are made of, and what would be a good bonding agent ? And what type of filler to use to finish them off with?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear spoiler is made out of Dupont Bexloy using an unusual 'blow molding' process. It can be glued with methacrylate, which is the stuff you use when your rear-view mirror falls off your windshield. It glues that little stainless button to the glass. It's not cheap, but you can find it in auto-parts stores. I have no idea about the filler....maybe somebody has tried something.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-05-2015).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As to the filler I'd suggest using a lot of RTV on the top side of the gasket (some underneath too, but a whole lot on top) then try to clean it up once the wing is in place. I used a little, but it left wide gaps around the base, so I used a tube of sealant left over from doing headlight motors to fill in that space. But that's a very messy job once the wing is in place.

For holding the wing on I fashioned a piece of aluminum and used a sheet metal screw from the underside to grab it. So far so good. It seems like the RTV is doing as much to hold the wing in place as the glued-in nuts. The three remaining nuts sure don't look like they could resist much pulling.

Here's the strap:

I also sealed the underside of the trunk lid. This is the one with the sheet metal screw and aluminum strap:

paulmckibben

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulmckibbenClick Here to visit paulmckibben's HomePageSend a Private Message to paulmckibbenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Per this link, http://fierosails.com/BodyPanels.html the wing stands are made of Thermoplastic Olefin (TPO). A google search will yield several sites with information about TPO repairs, which include plastic welding as well as adhesives.

Paul McKibben
Peachtree Corners, GA

[This message has been edited by paulmckibben (edited 03-05-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I gave out some bad information....the wing stands are not Bexloy after all....just the wing part. TPO is difficult to bond, but it can be done. It may be better to find stands from a damaged wing.

Cleaned up link...

http://fierosails.com/BodyPanels.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-06-2015).]

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2015 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks,, I'll post back on this when I work on them ,

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock