soft clutch, grinding reverse by wdunsmore
Started on: 03-04-2015 09:45 PM
Replies: 10 (744 views)
Last post by: FieroTony on 03-06-2015 11:41 AM
wdunsmore

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wdunsmoreSend a Private Message to wdunsmoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello. I have a 1987 Fiero GT. I have had it for about 8 months now. During the 8 months that ive had it there hasnt really been any problems other than a small leak in the clutch line, so i have to refill my clutch fluid every couple months (i plan to fix this eventually). A couple days ago i drove my fiero and everything was perfectly, but yesterday my dad drove my car to his work (long story) and i drove a different car to school. Well when i got in my car this morning i noticed that my clutch was unusually soft, and when i put it into reverse to get it out of my driveway, the gears kept grinding. I continued on my way to school and noticed that first gear was really hard to get into, and second gear was hard too, but third fourth and fifth were all fine. After school, i noticed it was grinding in reverse again, and again on the way home it was hard to get into first and second gear, but when i was about a mile from my house everything seemed to be working fine and when i pulled up to my house i tried putting it in reverse and everything was fine, (the clutch was still very soft the whole time but there was no gear problems) . I immediately checked the clutch fluid level to see if that was the problem but it wasn't, and i can't get my car into my garage to get a good look at it (because my brothers 1986 300zx turbo is in there, if anyone wants to buy that... sorry got distracted, id just like my garage back). I was confused by why everything was working normal after a 15 minute drive, but i couldnt find anything on the internet. about an hour or two later i had to go back out and the clutch was soft again and the first and second gear hard to get into. Before i left for home i tried putting the car into reverse and it would grind, and the gears were hard to get into again... but when i got home everything was normal again! (except the clutch was still soft). Sorry for really long explanation i just want people to understand what exactly is happening. Any ideas on what this could be? Any help would be appreciatied! I will probably take it to my mechanic if i cant find out whats wrong or if i dont have the tools/space to do it, but id rather do it myself if possible because i enjoy working on cars! Thanks for your help!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You've checked your fluid level, but it sounds like you have air in the system. If you have been losing fluid, there is a good chance air is getting in, causing your "soft" pedal and random gear shifts. Start simple and bleed the system so there are no air bubbles, and hope that it solves the issue. But more than likely (based on my personal experience), it's probably time to invest in a new slave and/or master cylinder. I haven't owned a Fiero yet that didn't need both.

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 03-04-2015).]

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ITALGT:

But more than likely, it's probably time for a new slave and/or master cylinder.

My master Cylinder was leaking badly and it started to get worse because the cap wouldn't budge because so much air was sucked in.

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Bad:
I am still leaking clutch fluid out. I tried to open it up to add some and the cap doesn't seem to come off, it's TIGHT on their. Here is what I found.

Here is the leak (under the brake booster.

I would recommend Rodney Dickman's Master and Slave Cylinders. BTW, welcome to the forums.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

I would recommend Rodney Dickman's Master and Slave Cylinders. BTW, welcome to the forums.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

If you have a small leak in the clutch hydraulics, it can also allow air to get in. It does not take much air to make the pedal soft and start grinding gears.
Yannsky

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YannskySend a Private Message to YannskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi

I have the opposite problem the clutch on my 87 2.8l is stif and i need to floor it to avoid reverse grinding. I heard from mecanic this is air on the system, i'm confuse!

Any idea what going wrong?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Yannsky:

Hi

I have the opposite problem the clutch on my 87 2.8l is stif and i need to floor it to avoid reverse grinding. I heard from mecanic this is air on the system, i'm confuse!

Any idea what going wrong?

You may have bent the pedal assembly.
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's really happening is that your clutch isn't disengaging when you press the pedal to the floor. It could be air in the lines. It could be a bent pedal. It could be a defective slave or master cylinder. It could also be a combination of two or more of these. Usually it's a bad slave or master that is allowing fluid out and air in. Whether it's the slave or master or both, it's always a good idea to replace both at the same time.
gmctyphoon1992

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
x3 on the recommendation for the rodney clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder superior quality!

As far as reverse grinding even with full pedal travel youll have this problem because :

Originally posted by gmctyphoon1992:

Reverse doesn't have a synchronizer, so unless the transmission input shaft is stopped, it will grind a little to get it into gear. You would think that the input shaft would be stopped if the car were stopped, but it's a normal condition that even with the clutch pedal depressed and the car in neutral, that the clutch disk (especially a new one) gets spun by the very light friction from the engine and pressure plate in such close proximity to it. This makes it grind going into reverse. Most of the time you can elimate the grinding going into reverse by pushing in and letting out the clutch pedal once or twice just before selecting reverse.You can also put it into third for a few seconds and than try again. That usually stops the input shaft from spinning.

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
move the clutch pedal with your hand. If you can easily move it you may have a worn banjo which can be replaced. Rodney has an adjustable banjo that is absolutely gold.

Second test is to use a broom handle to actuate the pedal as you watch the slave piston. When you move the pedal even 1/4 in the slave should actuate. If there is a delay you have either a worn banjo, or air in the system. Bleeding the clutch line is not for the faint of heart. There is lots written on the forum about doing this.

but, the first step is to check the banjo. hope this helps
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2002z28ssconv:

What's really happening is that your clutch isn't disengaging when you press the pedal to the floor. It could be air in the lines. It could be a bent pedal. It could be a defective slave or master cylinder. It could also be a combination of two or more of these. Usually it's a bad slave or master that is allowing fluid out and air in. Whether it's the slave or master or both, it's always a good idea to replace both at the same time.

Or could be this..............

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock