3.4 motor by Csjag
Started on: 03-04-2015 04:08 PM
Replies: 13 (482 views)
Last post by: randye on 03-06-2015 11:08 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How can I tell the difference between a 3.4 and a 2.8 by looking at the engine while its in the Fiero if it has the Fiero intake and what not on it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Disrupted Ether

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Disrupted EtherSend a Private Message to Disrupted EtherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a big 'F' maybe 1.5" tall with white paint on it stamped into the block if it's a Camaro/firebird 3.4. If memory serves it's a few inches above the oil pan on the rear facing of the block. You should be able to see it by jacking up the car and looking from underneath.

I'm no pro though, someone else here probably knows more.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The harmonic balancer, maybe.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

no2pencil

1523 posts
Member since Oct 2009
www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives...130314-2-114459.html for reference. Though, if they used the balancer from the 2.8 then my suggestion is invalid.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 3.4 will have a raised boss on the "trunk" side of the block, for the crank sensor. It will have a threaded hole, for a bolt, and a small metal plug, where the sensor would fit in. (88 2.8s also have this boss, but all it has is the threaded hole for the bolt. The larger sensor hole is not drilled.)
It will also have a plug in the top surface of the block, just above the timing cover, where the cam sensor would go.
A 3.1 might also have these plugs, but I'm not sure.

As posted before, the large "F" cast in the side of the block will be a dead giveaway.

If you can see the block where the starter is bolted...
On a 2.8, the ear that sticks out will be flush to the top of the starter, the entire width of the ear.
The bottom edge of a 3.4's "ear" will be beveled at an angle, leaving a bit of a gap towards the outside end.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-04-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, now I know what to look for.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 block also has an embossed ribbing look on the sides for strength where the 2.8 is smooth
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All these references are great , but I'm surprised after all these years that someone here with access to both engines hasn't done a thread with images showing the differences.

Great project for someone. Could be worth a few positive ratings!
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a thread, I used it when buying mine.

IIRC the obvious indicator is the dipstick ends up in a difficult to reach location. Also, I think the handle changes from red to yellow.

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 03-05-2015).]

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can vouch for the dipstick angle issue. It lays right on the recall weatherstrip.

------------------

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

All these references are great , but I'm surprised after all these years that someone here with access to both engines hasn't done a thread with images showing the differences.

Great project for someone. Could be worth a few positive ratings!

Yeah, I'm supprised too,.......oh wait,... I allready did

3.4L pushrod Swap (lots of pics) by sardonyx247 page 13

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Yeah, I'm supprised too,.......oh wait,... I allready did

3.4L pushrod Swap (lots of pics) by sardonyx247 page 13

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice pics, thanks.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From my contribution to Sardonxy's 3.4 thread when I built mine
(page 9)
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000026-9.html
My block before paint.
Note the "F" on the casting and all the reinforcing ribs that are not on a 2.8 block.
Also note the plug with the hex nut in the hole that would normally have the crankshaft sensor in it.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-06-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock