Floppy Steering Wheel by Oolab1
Started on: 03-04-2015 01:34 PM
Replies: 13 (520 views)
Last post by: FieroTony on 03-07-2015 04:38 PM
Oolab1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So for a while now I've been noticing, and increasingly worrying about, how loose my steering wheel is. Not really the wheel itself, more like the entire column. It feels as though the height lock is broken, because it flops around up and down and a little to the left but drives just fine in any position. Also the lever that you press to adjust the height only seems to lock in place on the lowest setting, which is what I would use anyway but it makes me worried nonetheless when it feels so loose. I'm wondering if there's any way to Jerry rig it in place so it won't move? I don't want to take apart the column since it's my DD and I don't need to be able to adjust the height, but something that would keep it stiff would be wonderful. I've tried putting a shim in between where the column meets the plastic sleeve thing but there wasn't enough overlap and it just fell right out.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you layed and looked up under the dash and shaken it to see what may be broke? You can remove a few plastic dash pieces an keep it drivable too.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oolab1:

I don't want to take apart the column since it's my DD ...

Just needs tightening inside - covered on the Forum somewhere.
Swap in another complete column - takes 1/2 hour.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oolab1:

...but something that would keep it stiff would be wonderful.

No, we won't go there.

Yeah, just swapping over the entire column is the simplest solution.

On my first Fiero, I tightened up the four screws/bolts that get loose... but it's quite involved to get into it that far.
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the same problem about 3 months ago. Didn't take anymore that a couple of hours start to finish.There's 4 torx bolts way down inside of the column that need Loctite and tightening. Ogre's Cave has a write up and Google GM tilt wheel for some step by step pictures. Good luck.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no way to rig it so it won't flop around, you need to take the column apart and tighten the 4 loose tilt screws. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show how to do it or any good repair shop should be able to do it for you. It's only about an hour job for anybody with GM column experience so it shouldn't cost too much to do.

Check out this video. It's not on a Fiero but all GM columns of that era are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGNc7gE3uo
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Didn't take anymore that a couple of hours start to finish.

Did you have the special tool required to remove whatever it is that requires a special tool to remove?

It's been about 17 years since I did mine, so I forget some of the finer details.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Special tools needed:
Steering wheel puller

Lock plate depressor:

Pivot pin puller:

Inverted torx bits:
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a hammer and a pair of pliers. Haha kidding I have a few more tools than that but none of those special ones I don't think... I'll figure something out though. Just go until I either get it done or can't go any farther. Thanks for all the help. I hadn't bothered to look it up so sorry for any redundant questions. I wasn't aware it was a common problem...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

Special tools needed...

Very comprehensive list... complete with images!

[EDIT] Can't believe I've never rated you previously. Just took care of that.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-05-2015).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2015 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

Special tools needed:
Steering wheel puller

Lock plate depressor:

Pivot pin puller:

Inverted torx bits:

tool #1 you can rent at any autoparts store for free.. you get your deposit back when you bring the tool back
tool #2 you maybe able to rent also, this has been hit or miss, no matter most parts stores sell them for 5-8 bucks ,or harbor freight
tool #3 I've never used..
tool #4 you'll have to buy, parts store/sears/harbor freight
tool #5 your cell phone or a digital camera to take pics of step by step as you take it apart, it'll help as you put it back together
and a tube of lock tight.. blue if you think you might ever have to remove the bolts again, red if you'll never be back..
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tools...
1. 2. must have
3. if stuck. You can pull w/ just a screw and pull the screw w/ pliers. SAE screw, I think 6-32 or 8-32
4. Nice but not really needed. 6 point socket or even long pliers will do. can't remember size socket. Bolts don't use much torque or the metal threads the bolts go into will bend etc.

See my Cave, Steering links for take apart and other notes

This is often cause by people pulling steering wheel to get in/out of car. Related problem people claiming tilt fails to hold when doing same thing. If you treat steering wheel for handle to get in/out of car then likely will be doing this again. Column is made to be "weak" for crash safety and can fail by repeatedly abusing.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually tools 1 and 2 you don't really need. I bet they are nice to have but...

You can make a wheel puller yourself, with a little welding and two bolts. As for the lock plate compressor i just sat firmly in the seat and pushed the lock plate with my heels so I could take the pin out. I don't necessarily recommend it but if there's no tools to be found you can get away with it.
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Did you have the special tool required to remove whatever it is that requires a special tool to remove?

It's been about 17 years since I did mine, so I forget some of the finer details.

Didn't have the pivot pin puller. Had to make one. Mine let loose on a Friday and couldn't find one in stock.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock