1987 2.8 v6 SE, won't start... by CavinWH
Started on: 03-03-2015 08:54 PM
Replies: 6 (230 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 03-05-2015 05:17 PM
CavinWH

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavinWHSend a Private Message to CavinWHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So yeah, the darn thing won't start. It has power and will turn over, I thought I fixed the problem with a new distributor cap, rotor, and ignition module. The ignition coil sparks but seems low. I feel like I'm just chasing problems.. When I try to start the engine, it revs up to about 300(it's hard to tell, the tach isn't incredibly accurate..) and smells like it's getting gas because if I hold the key down to long I smell a lot of gas.

[This message has been edited by CavinWH (edited 03-04-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Crank the starter and watch the tach.. does it go up to about 300 rpm, or does it stay on the peg?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-03-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I second that, welcome! Are you getting fuel?
CavinWH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavinWHSend a Private Message to CavinWHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I try to start the engine, it revs up to about 300(it's hard to tell, the tach isn't incredibly accurate..) and smells like it's getting gas because if I hold the key down to long I smell a lot of gas.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK... do you have an Ohm meter? You should test the ignition coil.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure the plug wires are all in the right spot?
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So is this the same thing it did that prompted the new parts? It sounds like too much gas. You can try flood clear mode. Crank with the accelerator all the way down. You could take the plugs out and dry them off. If it was doing the same thing before it might be the fuel regulator. Someone pointed this out in another current thread (Lakeland, Florida?). It sounds like you have spark.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock