Early 1984 Dew wipes by Adjustso3
Started on: 03-01-2015 03:03 AM
Replies: 14 (648 views)
Last post by: Adjustso3 on 03-09-2015 11:20 PM
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2015 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I've done searches and read tons of threads along with internet searches without coming up with a straight answer. I need to replace the dew wipes on my 84 Indy. I've talked to Stu and he says that his will fit but leave a gap between the wipe and the door. I know that the FS will do the exact same thing. I really don't want to swap the doors on this car just for the dew wipes because the car is pretty clean. I've read that you can use 3rd gen camaro dew wipes or from a Corvette but the article didn't state the year of the Corvette. I can't be the only guy who will settle for this gap between the wipe and the door. If someone can chime in and let me know what you've done to make the ones from Stu look good and seal please let me know what you did. If you midified wipes from another car please let me know what year and make/model of car. I have been reading for weeks and have not come up with an answer for gap problem on early 1984 Fieros. Please don't just tell me to look on the forums here because I did and everything I put in the search box comes up with nothing related to solving the gap problem. I've read them all several times. Thanks for your time.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2015 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Adjustso3:

I've talked to Stu and he says that his will fit but leave a gap between the wipe and the door.

You mean you've talked to seajai, not Stu. The problem is the wide strip on the back side that is designed to fit under the door skin. That profile is no longer made, GOOGLE search for "belt weatherstrip", there are quite a few companies selling them but only 1 manufacturer still making them in the U.S. so there are a lot of repeats. I have cutoff pieces (about 2' long) left over from when I build them, if you want, I could send you some so you can see what they look like. You could maybe experiment with different methods of bonding on an extra rubber piece to the back side to mimic the old one. Finding the right type and thickness of rubber is the hard part. Let me know, I have plenty of scraps i can send, just pay the shipping.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-01-2015 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that's the reason I've held off on getting a set.. for my 84 indy..
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2015 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car was manufactured before any of the Indy's, build sequence 24,421, and the Fiero Store dew wipes look fine. I can get pictures when I get back to town.
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2015 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Chris, I by no means meant to offend you if you took it that way. I've been reading so much that I guess I got confused. Once again I appologise. This is just driving me crazy because I know I'm not the only guy with the early 84 design that has a "good enough" attitude. I'm gonna get yours for my 87GT but am trying to find a way to either adapt yours or use something from another car. I'm laid off for the winter so it kind of limits my options for now. Otherwise I'd just order many types and see what works. One guy has something on his Fiero but they came on it when he got it and has no idea what their from but look pretty good. As always, thanks for your help.
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2015 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Adjustso3

453 posts
Member since May 2014
Thanks for the info Rwdplz, but do your doors have the "notch" towards the back of the door skin on the top ? Just wondering because you may have newer doors on your 84.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2015 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No offense taken it's all good. Just let me know if you want some scrap pieces to experiment on.
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2015 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Chris, I'll let you know. It's so cold here in Buffalo NY right now that if I attempt to touch the strips on the car they would probably shatter !
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-01-2015 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

No offense taken it's all good. Just let me know if you want some scrap pieces to experiment on.

I'm hoping come spring to have an extra set of 84's and 85-up to be able to see how different they are side by side..
I think you explained it in p.m.'s to me, but I think seeing it side by side will be a huge help..
It's great that you build them.. as people need them..
Kinda wish I didn't buy an Indy, as it keeps me from changing much of anything that can't be put back..lol
Not, because it's a low mile ,show car, or it's value, but because it a pace car. It'll never be worth 69 Camaro pace car money.. but..
It's odd, as 10-15 years ago, I gave my dad crap for wanting to keep his 1949 willy's pickup stock..
sorry about the rant/book.. stuck at home on medical leave, and bored to tears..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 03-01-2015).]

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2015 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a pic of the 1st design 84 dew wipe (left) compared to the 2nd design late 84 thru 88 dew wipe:

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-01-2015 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I'm talking about is, seeing both side by side on the door, even if I took a photo of my 84 on it, and then bolted the 85-up on and took a photo of it on the door, installed..
the part of the 84 that has more rubber,might be needed to keep water out of the door, or it might not really matter. and g.m. just cut down on waste..
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2015 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are pics of the new dew wipe on the 84 door:

This is a pic of the same dew wipe installed on an 88 door:

Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2015 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure if there was a bigger demand for them somebody would of came up with something by now. With it being 6 months or so of the entire production it's just not worth it. I just wonder what car GM stole the wipes from to make them work. A lot of the car was put together with parts from other cars to cut down on production cost. It's time to stick some black electrical tape over the old ones ! LOL ! Just kidding !!!!!!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the Fiero Store dew wipe on my 84 door.

Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that pic RWDPLZ. There doesn't appear to be a gap between the wipe and the top of the door skin. I really like the Fiero Store but would rather support the people we have here on this site. I just like to support the guy trying to support his family the way things were done back in the day. I'm sure when I'm ready in the spring to replace them, somebody will have a fix for us guys who own the early 84 Fieros. There has got to be a way to lengthen that part that goes between the wipe and covers the top of the door skin. I'm just shocked that wipes from another car can not be modified easily to work on the first 84 design. I too wish I would of never purchased this Indy. I want to restore it and make it look like new but it's not as easy as I thought it would be. It's easy to overlook all the little things.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock