Started on: 02-27-2015 07:12 PM
Replies: 10 (452 views)
Last post by: theogre on 02-28-2015 12:03 PM
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I built a few engines with an old timer way back in the day. He used to spray the head gaskets with chrome paint before installing them. Presumably it improved sealing particularly around the water passages. I've done it with every motor I've built since then, I never really questioned it. It's occurred to me that materials today may be better than than they used to be and if it served any purpose back then, it may be unnecessary today. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this or done it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always heard use the copper gasket spray. It transfers heat better.

------------------

Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea I use permatex copper spray-a-gasket hi temp sealant
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We used to use the copper spray. Now with all the different materials in gaskets we tend not to anymore. Some gaskets are composite(multiple materials) and paints have materials in them that can soften some gasket materials.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

I built a few engines with an old timer way back in the day. He used to spray the head gaskets with chrome paint before installing them. Presumably it improved sealing particularly around the water passages. I've done it with every motor I've built since then, I never really questioned it. It's occurred to me that materials today may be better than than they used to be and if it served any purpose back then, it may be unnecessary today. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this or done it?

Yes I've heard of it from my neighbor when I was a kid, late 60's. I never tried it but I always used "see link" on my head gaskets and never had a problem. And I'm talking about 65-67 GTO's. When time came to pull the heads I could remove all head-bolts and crank the engine over and never blow the heads off the block.

Real good stuff.

http://www.permatex.com/pro...llac-compound-detail

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since I go back to the old flat head days, I've used a lot of High Tac. The newer engines with all the aluminum are different animals. One thing I did learn is that spray is a must on Perkins engines. The gaskets say install dry, but without the spray they WILL leak oil.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2015 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

One thing I did learn is that spray is a must on Perkins engines. .

I would say it is engine type, but logic says it is the gasket type. IE a well made gasket won't leak.

When it comes to the 60deg V6 I have never used spray and never had one leak or had any problems with the head gaskets. And I lost count on how many I have done. Or any duke I rebuilt either for that matter.

But for any sealant I have always heard of the indian head or the copper, never chrome, as chrome spray is no where near real chrome and sounds like a bunch of snake oil to me, IE not that it didn't leak because of it, but it didn't leak in spite of it.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2015 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Metal shim gaskets get sprayed or brushed with some sort of puckey like copper coat. They also need to be retorqued after one heat cycle.

Composition or coated gaskets go on dry and don't need to be retorqued.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2015 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Yes I've heard of it from my neighbor when I was a kid, late 60's. I never tried it but I always used "see link" on my head gaskets and never had a problem. And I'm talking about 65-67 GTO's. When time came to pull the heads I could remove all head-bolts and crank the engine over and never blow the heads off the block.

Real good stuff.

http://www.permatex.com/pro...llac-compound-detail

Spoon

Yeah, I remember using gasket shellac. That's going back a ways. I remember trying to remove gaskets that had been sealed with that stuff. Next to impossible to remove.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2015 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the new head gaskets are much better and don't need to be treated. If you get the good ones with the metal liner around the cylinder, they are strong unless you boost the engine and then you want copper

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 02-28-2015).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2015 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using Wrong kind or Any sealer can cause head and other gaskets to fail.
Fel-Pro Printoseal and PermaDry gaskets and some others hate added sealers.

Sometimes you can use High Tack on unprinted side of Printoseal to keep gasket in place when you start bolts etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock