premium sound switch by f85gtron
Started on: 02-23-2015 04:28 AM
Replies: 7 (399 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 02-23-2015 12:53 PM
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's it possible to keep the function of the premium sound slider switch with an aftermarket amp?
The original setup controls the voltage to the original amps board. The new amps are surface mount components and I'm not screwing with soldering on that.
Can it be used like a volume pot with the feed to the amp from the radio (bridged mono)? I don't want to burn it up.
Ron
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2015 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can rewire it to use it as the remote input for an amp which has a remote potentiometer knob to control the subwoofer volume level, like the Rockford Punch amps have. I don't know if it has the same range as the amp remote might, but you can also replace the slider itself with one that has the same amount of range as the after market remote knob.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2015 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like said above most good amps have a "remote volume control" port, that you'd normally plug in that brands control, they are wired.. I haven't bought an amp in 2 years, but all mine from the mid 90's till the one I bought in 2013 used a cat type cable (think home phone)
You'd just need to get the pin out for the remote volume and match the fiero slider to it, If it is nothing more than a volume rheostat, I've never seen one so I can't tell you for sure, but my bet is it's nothing more than a slider rheostat, that said
I'd not use it the way you asked, "bridging to mono" if that ment you planed on wiring the head units rca's together, or the head units speaker level leads.. neither are made for that..
once you have the wire pin out for the remote of your amp, and know what ,what wires are in the fiero control, you can wire it up..
from what I can tell from the limited searching I just did the non performance map light unit has 2 wires going to it, ( orange and a white one) these power the map/reading/door lights in the 4 light pod,
the sub controller wiring adds a yellow and white most likely molded together . If I knew where my 87 shop manual was that I could put my fingers on it.. I'd post a photo of the wiring.. if it was in there..

below is a simple volume control wiring.. you'll note that it has 3 leads input/output/ground..

you'll be dealing with the input/output of the potentiometer (volume control)
on the slider you just have to find out what spade terminal is the input to the control and what one is the output.. when you look at the wire connector, you'll have 4 wires orange/white/yellow/white
and it should become clear what two spade terminals on the light unit is for the lights and what ones got to the control..
now you just have to test the potentiometer ,
http://www.instructables.co...-of-a-Potentiometer/

you are using it as a volume control

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 02-23-2015).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2015 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012
The subwoofer amp has eight inputs that are designed to connect directly to the speaker outputs of your radio, and yes, it will also work with aftermarket radios, but more about aftermarket installations later. The signals from all four speakers are added up inside the amp and only the low frequencies are allowed to pass, everything else is filtered out. The amp contains an 8 volt power regulator that supplies that voltage to the slider assembly on the overhead console. The slider is actually only a 10K variable resistor in series with a 10K fixed resistor to ground. This voltage divider feeds a variable voltage back to the amp that controls the volume of the amp. So, the audio signal is NOT fed up to the slider and back down, instead the amp is controlled by a voltage. Finally, the low frequency audio signal is fed to a "power" amplifier that drives the subwoofer speaker. If you are interested in the schematics of the amp, click here.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2015 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 02-23-2015).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2015 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

might be worth downloading your year fiero manuals

http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2015 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012
Fiero radio wiring colors..

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 4″ Speakers x 10″
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Dash
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 4″ x 6″ Speakers
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Side Panels
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2015 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012
How To: Control Aftermarket Amp using Performance Sound Overhead by Xanth
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-2-089409.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave