Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  3800 blowing oil seals - what is the problem?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 blowing oil seals - what is the problem? by Englishrafe
Started on: 02-22-2015 08:16 AM
Replies: 9 (357 views)
Last post by: LFiero67 on 03-13-2015 06:02 AM
Englishrafe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishrafeClick Here to Email EnglishrafeSend a Private Message to EnglishrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone,
My 3800 turbo swap keeps blowing the oïl seal just behind the harmonic damper.
The oïl pressure is around 80+psi when the engine is under load and 40 to 50psi at idle. At start up the pressure seems to rise above the 80psi mark.
I had fitted a performance pump and spring & piston from ZZP. I thought the pressure might be too high after blowing 3 seals in a row with this so I put the original pump and spring & piston back in.
No change: I've just been round the block with the car and it's leaking again.
This is the 4th seal to blow!

Where am I going wrong to keep blowing seals like this?

Thanks for your input...?

Ragards,
Rafe
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The balancer oil seal isn't affected by pump pressure, it sounds like your pressurizing the crankcase with boost. There is a special PCV valve needed for turbo applications that has a built in check valve to prevent this. I remember a thread about the PCV valve a while back.

Edit: Here ya go http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000541.html

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 02-22-2015).]

Englishrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishrafeClick Here to Email EnglishrafeSend a Private Message to EnglishrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply.
I already have the Supra Turbo PCV (the one shown), and I'm not boosting more than 10psi.
Each valve cover has a breather filter as well.
I don't see how the crank case is getting so much air pressure that it blows out the oïl seal?

What else is going wrong or getting blocked that oïl pressure is building up behind the seal?

Has anyone else had oïl seal problems?

Thanks,
Rafe
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you done a boost leak check?

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't the ONLY way you're "Pressurizing" the crankcase is Past the RINGS ?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Isn't the ONLY way you're "Pressurizing" the crankcase is Past the RINGS ?

Some people forget to block the pcv port in the throttle body. You need to do a boost leak check to see if its leaking somewhere.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"block the pcv port in the throttle body"
Got a" Picture" of that ?
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Click Here to Email LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the balanced damaged? Groove worn in it? Do you oil the seal before installing the harmonic? If it's dry or the balancer is worn, the seal will fail very quickly. If it only fails after making boost, then your probably pressurizing the crankcase as stated already.

------------------
10.263 @ 134.44MPH - 1.49 60'
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

Englishrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishrafeClick Here to Email EnglishrafeSend a Private Message to EnglishrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK. After putting on a brand new harmonic balancer and new seal, there seems to be no more leaks! Yeah!!
I also blocked off the two holes (with epoxy putty) in the lower intake manifold for the oil breather system. I had a feeling that turbo pressure was leaking past the upper intake gasket and pressurising the engine.
I don't really understand how the engine gets pressurised since both rocker covers have breather filters?
However, with the Europeen roads and the tight circuits (lots of hard left turns) that I race on, I was getting a bit of oïl surge comming back up the PCV.
I'll let you know how it goes.....

Thanks for all the good advice.

Best regards,
Rafe

[This message has been edited by Englishrafe (edited 03-13-2015).]

LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Click Here to Email LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming your running a gutted m90, if you hadn't blocked the pcv vent passage, that would have been your problem. You need to run a breather to allow air into the crankcase if you are still running a pcv valve. But you always need to block the fresh air passage from receiving boost or you will pressurize the crankcase and blow seals. Tapping and plugging or filling as you have done is needed if running a m90 case with turbo and likely what solved your problem. L36/l26 intakes use a external pcv vent, so no issues there, as long as the pcv valve seals.

------------------
10.263 @ 134.44MPH - 1.49 60'
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock