Horn blows by itself on right hand turns by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 02-20-2015 08:48 PM
Replies: 8 (197 views)
Last post by: Rsvl-Rider on 03-24-2015 11:30 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had this problem where very occasionally the horn will blow by itself on right hand turns. Particularly hard right hand turns. It was a minor annoyance until recently when it started happening every day or two. I found a thread on this in the archives but it doesn't seem to fit my problem exactly. The first thing I did to isolate the problem was to remove the 3 piece plunger/spring thingy under the horn button. The problem stopped immediately and for about a week it hasn't happened again. So, it must be the spring thing but all 3 pieces are in great shape and the tab on the collar lock into place perfectly.

So if the parts look perfect but the problem went away what's the answer?

------------------
John Wayne as John Bernard Books in The Shootist...
" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

My rides...
1988 GT with a 3.4L V6 automatic
2006 Harley Sportster
'cause I love the twisties on two wheels or four.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2015 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car was doing the same thing. It wouldn't stop blaring the horn as I pulled into my spot at a show. I made my presence known

Anyway, after I took those pieces out, I put them back in when I got home and it worked perfectly. Did you try reinstalling it?
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2015 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there is a horn ring that is under the column lock plate that gets corroded and over time will wear down. might want to change that out and tighten the 4 torque screws in your column.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

there is a horn ring that is under the column lock plate that gets corroded and over time will wear down. might want to change that out and tighten the 4 torque screws in your column.

Haven't tried reinstalling it yet.

Where is the column lock plate located? Not familiar with that and couldn't find it in the parts breakdown in the service manual.
Tuna Helper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lock plate is under the steering wheel. Did you pull the wheel off, or just the pad on the wheel?
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tuna Helper:

The lock plate is under the steering wheel. Did you pull the wheel off, or just the pad on the wheel?

Just the pad. I don't have a steering wheel puller. Guess I'll have to pick one up...

Thanks.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

FOSD_PREZ

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FOSD_PREZClick Here to visit FOSD_PREZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FOSD_PREZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had this problem on my 87 coupe. In my case one of the 3 screws that holds the turn signal switch plate in place worked loose. The screw shorted the circular horn ring randomly. The steering wheel needs to come off to tighten these screws.

Larry
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I finally got around to pulling the wheel about a week and a half ago. Got down to the horn ring which looked like it had some old dirty grease but no corrosion. I cleaned up the worst of it and reinstalled it. Haven't had a recurrence of the erratic horn blow since then.

Thanks guys!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock