Auto trunk popper wiring question by chrislayton
Started on: 02-13-2015 02:27 PM
Replies: 5 (576 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 02-14-2015 03:16 PM
chrislayton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrislaytonSend a Private Message to chrislaytonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought trunk popper for my 85 fiero and installed it on the trunk lid and then I purchased the fiero trunk popper switch since my fiero didn't come with one. However when I removed the blank plate, the wiring harness for the trunk popper was there so I just plugged in the switch and installed it in the dash so that part is done as far as wiring. The thing I don't know is that there will be a wire that will run from the trunk lock mechanism over to a wired connection in the engine bay somewhere that is connected to the harness that leads back to the switch that I just installed. Anyone know where it is that I hook into that harness for the positive lead on the trunk latch mechanism?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wiring for the switch may have been present behind the close out plate, but not sure where it goes. On a car equipped with remote unlock the wires for the solenoid begin at the passenger side of the bulkhead with a four pin connector. The plug and connector from that point go into the decklid and back to the solenoid in the center rear of the lid. You may have to run your own wires ... don't know if a base car had wiring provision available to hook this up. If you need to do your own just run a positive and a ground to the switch from the solenoid. If you do wire it this way the decklid will open even if the car is moving or is in gear so be aware.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the same in an '86 coupe. I installed the switch, solenoid and wiring for the decklid from an '87. The connector for the wiring going to the solenoid was hanging near the decklid hinge by the battery. Plugged it in just like the switch. Done.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my 88 I needed to add the switch, the wiring from the hinge to the solenoid, and the solenoid itself. I also needed to add a relay under the dash...the receptacle was there for the relay but no relay was installed. After that it worked like a charm.
chrislayton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrislaytonSend a Private Message to chrislaytonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

On my 88 I needed to add the switch, the wiring from the hinge to the solenoid, and the solenoid itself. I also needed to add a relay under the dash...the receptacle was there for the relay but no relay was installed. After that it worked like a charm.

Is there any possibility that you could show me in a picture where that relay is supposed to be located? I'd really appreciate it.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrislayton:

Is there any possibility that you could show me in a picture where that relay is supposed to be located? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks to Buddycraigg for posting this in the archives

It's where the red arrow is pointing. Also note that sometime between 84 and 88 the wiring changed. The 84 will only pop the trunk when the ignition is on, the 88 will always be hot and pop. This is one time where I think the 84 way was better. It is a security risk for your trunk popper to be able to be opened with no key.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock