manifold crack by hoddy
Started on: 02-13-2015 04:00 AM
Replies: 7 (260 views)
Last post by: Riddick85 on 02-16-2015 11:56 AM
hoddy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have a question for you knowledgeable gentleman. An 88 gt v6 I am looking at has a crack in the front manifold. How big of a job is it to remove said manifold to get it welded ie how long time wise. My other option would be to purchase another and swap over once the car gets here, I understand it is a common problem so is there another model of manifold that is better ?
Many thanks
Hoddy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might want to perform a search on this topic. The job is a pain and if a bolt breaks, then it is even more trouble. I ended up pulling the heads because of the number of broken bolts. Now, you could get lucky and everything works out fine. As for the manifold. I would just have someone weld it, as it shouldn't take them long.
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure to tell them it's stainless, so they use a stainless rod for welding.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a very low mileage car. Looks like it was driven in the winter a few times but probably not too many times. Bolts should come out. Should. Soak them with penetrating oil for several days or more beforehand.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hoddy:
I understand it is a common problem so is there another model of manifold that is better ?

Fiero 2.8 had it's own manifold....no other car had it. The good news: All four years are the same, and it is weldable.
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey,

This seems to be quite a common problem. Mine cracked as well, had a buddy that works hvac weld them for me.

When removing the manifold, the bolts that hold manifold to the cross pipe are gonna snap. The manifold are stainless, the flanges are not and rust. Be prepared to just replace the bolts. its an easy job to do, just remove your decklid and you should be able to get to everything you need.
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2015 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When removing rusted exhaust bolts heat, penetration oil and lots of patience help. On one truck put penetration oil (Kriol) every morning before going to work and when I got home. I did that for a week before I tried to remove the exhaust bolts. When removed the bolts I warmed the truck up before I tried removed the bolts. I was able to break the bolts loose when the engine was warm. I let it cool to finish the work. Obviously you need to be careful when working on a hot engine, but the heat helps. I have not done a Fiero, so I don't know how practical it is to get to the bolts when they are hot.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would also say to heat it. If I were you I would run the car to operating temperature to get everything nice and hot then wait for it to cool down enough to touch it

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock