square bit size by fieromatty
Started on: 02-12-2015 06:19 PM
Replies: 12 (226 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 02-13-2015 04:37 PM
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For some reason, pontiac thought it would be a good idea to put a square bit plug where the fan temp switch usually goes. Does anyone know what size that bit is? I can't find it at any store.

A picture is on my website

magnetwd.com/car

Its the last picture on the page.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't remember, but isn't it just 3/8".... or 1/2" (use a ratchet).

I have created my own, in the past by just grinding down a bolt, to the same size as the square hole.

(found this: http://www.thirdgen.org/for...-head-pipe-plug.html )

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 02-12-2015).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

I can't remember, but isn't it just 3/8".... or 1/2" (use a ratchet).

+1 That was going to be my suggestion...
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know what they have on yours, but I know some GM's had 5/16 square plugs. Had to get a socket for a Caddy engine I had long ago.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its smaller then the 3/8ths ractchet. I tried.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

Its smaller then the 3/8ths ractchet. I tried.

1/4"?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The heads are interchangeable left to right... are you sure the head on the other bank doesn't have the plug already removed?
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They do make a socket for those 5/16 square.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

The heads are interchangeable left to right... are you sure the head on the other bank doesn't have the plug already removed?

I have seen one engine that was totally assembled and installed before they realized they'd put the heads on the opposite banks. They couldn't get the plug out so they ran a pair of wires across the engine to the temperature sensor at the right front of the engine.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a bunch of short 3/8" extensions, so I just ground one down. Same as grinding down the bolt.

------------------
'87 GT in process!

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
I have seen one engine that was totally assembled and installed before they realized they'd put the heads on the opposite banks. They couldn't get the plug out ...

Personally, I've never been able to get that plug out and neither has the machine shop where I get most of my work done. They're in there good and tight with 30 years of corrosion in the threads. My experience has been that the square socket in the head either rounds off or the tool does.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our mechanic that installed my 3.4 got the plug out of mine. The engine had good compression so we didn't want to pull the heads. I don't know how he did it, but he did. Freezing it with AC refrigerant and whacking it with a brass drift and small sledge can sometimes break them loose. Then use an impact wrench. I've used that method on the same type plugs in other applications.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 02-13-2015).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my Jasper rebuild, it came out without a problem.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock