Better balance for Lebaron swap? by Knight
Started on: 02-12-2015 03:58 PM
Replies: 7 (289 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 03-05-2015 08:49 AM
Knight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC, the Indy pace cars used rear brake calipers from a GM vehicle and just disabled the e-brake set up on the ones used up front. Can we do this with the Caddy rear brakes? That would solve the severe front bias that the front/rear Caddy callipers cause with the front being 2.5 inch piston and the rear 2 1/8 inch.

Since the Camaro calipers are 2 3/8 inch that would seem better except that IIRC there is some problem with using them that I cannot recall. Is it the fittings being on the bottom? Did someone mention 4x4 calipers that are 203/8 inch but have the bleeder on the top, if that is indeed the issue?

Really trying to avoid increasing the front bias, especially as I am using shorter, more narrow tires in the front already.

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited 02-15-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the leBaron, caddy rear, Z28 front, big booster brakes on my 87. I don't have the problem you want to solve. I have a gravel driveway which is a great way to test brake bias IMO. The tires all seem to start to lock up at the same point. I haven't noticed the fronts being able to out power the rear. I have made many hard test stops from speeds well over the ..... ....... The 87 stops straight as a rail with easy control to prevent tire lock-up. It's not a ultimate Corvette system but I'm very happy with it.

------------------
woodys 427

Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Just read that there is a significant brake bias. Guess i will find out after the swap. I plan on upgrading to aluminum calipers later anyway and can choose a better pisron size if it becomes obvuious.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the bleeders are on the bottom of your calipers, swap them side to side to get the bleeders on top.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exactly That is what I did with my Caddy rear calipers. It works. The driver side cable though is a little short so I used a Pontiac 6000 cable.

I put the Grand AM rotors with Grand Am calipers on the front and Caddy on the back. The Caddy caliper piston is just a tad smaller than the Grand Am piston so when the brakes are applied, the balance works pretty much perfectly. I left my proportioning valve in place.
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody know have thoughts on using the rear calipers in the front? If the rears are adjusted by the e-brake cable, will that be a problem if used on the front?

Also read in a thread that the 2 3/8 inch piston Camaro calipers cannot be used with the Caddy adapter brackets due to some differences in how it sits in the bracket. Thoughts?
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think that using rear calipers w/ebrake in front would be cause the caliper to hit the control arm when turning. This would limit how far the wheel would be able to turn, greatly increasing the turning diameter.
I haven't mocked it up to be sure.
Do you need an ebrake?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock