Close call by bonaduce
Started on: 02-11-2015 06:46 PM
Replies: 5 (249 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 02-12-2015 08:36 PM
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after rebuilding the headlight motors and sourcing out the electrical problems that I never had before putting these headlight motors in (these came out of the gt I bought in December, my good ones from this notchy went into the gt), all worked fine and looked and sounded good, that was 2/2/14. Had to go out to the garage tonight to get a wrench and it is full of smoke and I can smell something burnt, thought battery overcooked at first so I checked that and the bikes, then noticed the turn knob on the ds headlight melted off and motor to hot to touch. Guess I will be looking for "new" ds motor and tracing wires again.

dan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no headlight motor was
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lucky it stopped there!!!
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Traced the wires today, all look good, looks like the motor was the only casualty. When I get a chance I will take it apart and see what failed this time.

dan
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had loaned one of my Fieros out while a friend's was being worked on. The passenger headlight failed during that time and only went halfway and stopped. He left it and it did the same thing. Totally melted. The only thing inside worth saving was the small metal gear and the shaft and drive plate that goes through the larger gear. The burned smell from taking it apart in the garage lingered for over a month.

Apparently it was internal and the limiter switch didn't break. I replaced the complete motor and nothing else without any future problems. I've also found this to happen when a motor is freshly rebuilt and the rubber weather seal at the top slips out and lodges underneath the knob during reassembly. If you have another limiter switch assembly, by all means use it in your replacement motor. Don't use the one from the burned motor.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock