lost electrical power while driving by crashmydaytona
Started on: 02-10-2015 03:50 PM
Replies: 14 (298 views)
Last post by: Fiero.1984 on 02-22-2015 04:45 PM
crashmydaytona

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 gt 3800sc sII with front mount battery
I lost all power last night on my way home from work all lights went out and engine shut off at a stop light the power came back on in a second. I restarted it and a few seconds later it did it again while driving everything went dead for a second then came back to life it did this 2 more times in my last mile home.

I thought for sure a battery cable was loose and causing the problem but not the case. What else could cause this problem? Maybe a fusible link I think once they go dead the car would not restart though. No codes car is running normally otherwise. Thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did you do the wiring for your front battery? Is the negative cable connected to the frame, or back to the engine block?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you check both ends of both cables?
crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I connected the the negative cable to both the frame and the engine block. Actually i connected to a starter bolt.
No i did not check both ends of the cables ( that seems obvious now) i will check the other ends in the morning. Thanks for helping me out i will report back what i find.
crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got to check the cables today nothing was loose. Had the key on while wiggling wires and the power never went off. What can cause a complete loss of power if not the cables?

IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not saying this is your problem, but could be. You have a dead short somewhere. When driving did the console get hot? If so maybe part of the problem. On mine series lll the console would get really hot, and blow hell wiring, relays and fuses. Open the console up and check everything electric
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IIKool:

Not saying this is your problem, but could be. You have a dead short somewhere. When driving did the console get hot? If so maybe part of the problem. On mine series lll the console would get really hot, and blow hell wiring, relays and fuses. Open the console up and check everything electric

That would make sense, except CrashMyDaytona said nothing about blown fuses. So the short would have to be on something not going through the fuse box or out of the distribution post....which is pretty much the wires he checked. If there is a break in the insulation on the long battery cables, moisture might create a quick discharge to the frame.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Iffy battery cables? Most likely, Barking up the wrong tree.

Fuse link A runs most of car.
Check for problems in engine bay... The Power Dist "Box," Link A, Alt and all Grounds.
See my Cave, Wire Service

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theogre was right it was the power distribution block i checked that the nuts were tight earlier but did not pull on the wires. When i pulled on the wire for the fusible links the stud came out the surrounding plastic had melted.

Can I attach the fusible link wires to the large lug with the small wire from the battery and the large one from the harness?
Or are they separate for a reason? Thanks for helping.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crashmydaytona:
Theogre was right it was the power distribution block i checked that the nuts were tight earlier but did not pull on the wires. When i pulled on the wire for the fusible links the stud came out the surrounding plastic had melted.

Can I attach the fusible link wires to the large lug with the small wire from the battery and the large one from the harness?
Or are they separate for a reason? Thanks for helping.

dist box studs are attach by OE Alt terminal.
See my Cave, Fuse Links notes

Wire hot enough melt the dist box then
Get another Box
Find and fix the large amp draw trying to blow A or B. COULD be weather rotted the box and/or links but you need to make sure amp load. Aftermarket sound, fog and/or driving lights, high watt HL, bad blowers/fans are good at killing fuse links.
Replace links A and B

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-21-2015).]

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good info. I'm having similar issues with my 3800 fiero

-Mitch
PFF
System Bot
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar issue, it turned out to be the connection to the main power wire going into c500. I removed the bad crimp, soldered the two together, and it's been good since.
crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

dist box studs are attach by OE Alt terminal.
See my Cave, Fuse Links notes

Wire hot enough melt the dist box then
Get another Box
Find and fix the large amp draw trying to blow A or B. COULD be weather rotted the box and/or links but you need to make sure amp load. Aftermarket sound, fog and/or driving lights, high watt HL, bad blowers/fans are good at killing fuse links.
Replace links A and B

I am certain the problem was I used a washer to connect the two studs since i no longer had the original end that connects both studs. I dont think it was making good contact and caused the melting.

What is the purpose of having two studs if they both get power from the same wire? Why not connect everything to one stud and not have to bridge the studs.

[This message has been edited by crashmydaytona (edited 02-22-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crashmydaytona:

What is the purpose of having two studs if they both get power from the same wire? Why not connect everything to one stud and not have to bridge the studs.

You sort of answered your own question. To maintain good electrical contact with all the wires, the engineers at GM did not want a stack of wires on one terminal, so they made two, and put fewer wires on each one. Bad electrical contact at the power distribution block can cause lost electrical power while driving.
Fiero.1984

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen battery cables break at their connections. The broken wires only separate when the car is bouncing around while driving.

Also I had a spark plug wire short to the exhaust manifold, eventually it caused the ECM to fail. I had two different mechanics work on the car but neither saw it. So if your spark plug wires are a bit too long, they can bounce against the exhaust manifold and cause the car to stumble.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock