Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Will Bleeding raise the clutch pedal height?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Will Bleeding raise the clutch pedal height? by B3mith
Started on: 02-09-2015 04:10 PM
Replies: 17 (488 views)
Last post by: tebailey on 02-12-2015 09:21 AM
B3mith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done lots of reading and searching on the old posts, but still have a question. My clutch pedal sits even with the brake pedal. I replaced a leaking slave cylinder with Rodneys and tried to bleed the system. Cant get it bled and I'm wondering if its because theres not enough pedal push? I crawled under the dash (lots of fun) and checked the banjo first, it was upside down and switched that. I measured the pedal at the typical bending point and it seems to be right. I peeled back the carpet and doesnt appear to be a leak in the master. I can pull the pedal up to the correct height by hand so theres nothing mechanical stopping it. Im going to try and rebleed the sytem using Archies Method. So if its bled properly should the pedal height change?

------------------
86 Gt 3800 series II supercharged

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My experience is that bleeding the system will make no difference with clutch pedal height.

I suspect you've got either a bent pedal (keep in mind it's not actually the pedal that bends, it's the bracket on the side of the pedal that distorts), a bent banjo, or a short banjo (all banjos are not the same length).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-09-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bleeding won't change the pedal height.

Bent components in the pedal assembly will.
B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I checked the spot in the picture above and measured it. It is very close and doesnt seem bent at all. Like I said the pedal is even with the brake pedal. Is that enough to concern myself about? Or should I order order an adjustable banjo from Rodney? Its an 86 Gt with getrag btw.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine didn't look bent either, until I took it out. Mine sat level with the brake pedal, new one sits 1" higher.
B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you order it from The Fiero Store? I guess I can remove it and check it out of the car. But I hate to go through that trouble if its not bent....
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya got the steel one from the Fiero store, it made a huge difference in the clutch pedal.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The adjustable banjo does the job....I think my pedal assembly is slightly bent, but works fine with the adjustment made.
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The adjustable banjo does the job....I think my pedal assembly is slightly bent, but works fine with the adjustment made.

x2:

http://www.rodneydickman.com/n90.html

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 02-09-2015).]

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The new clutch pedal is one part that I do have to give kudos to the Fiero Store for, it really does the job.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The amount of your pedal push doesn't limit the ability to bleed the slave. You can do it with one inch of travel, it just takes longer than 8 inches of travel. I suggest that you gravity bleed the system by jacking up the left front of the vehicle enough to just get the wheel off the ground.

Fill up the reservoir and leave the cap off. Since you've already bled, I suspect there's air trapped in the slave. With the front wheel lifted, this also tilts the bleeder end of the slave uphill so air can move up to the bleeder valve.

Open the bleeder valve and rap on the side of the slave with a heavy wrench or ratchet handle or small hammer. You should see some air bubbles come out of the bleeder. Just be sure not to run so much fluid that drain the reservoir. You can close the bleeder, top it off again and repeat the procedure until you have no air bubbles. It's a one man process and requires no pumping.

Can you pull the pedal up above the brake pedal if you place your toe under it and lift? If you can't, then you have something underneath the dash that's bent. If you may have removed the banjo rod from the pedal and reattached it, check again to be sure it's positioned like this:

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ITALGT:

x2:

http://www.rodneydickman.com/n90.html

Times 3. In a perfect world you wouldn't need this. But rather than replace every component in the system get the adjustable banjo and be done with it.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Adjustable banjo x4
B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks guys. Do I have to remove the Master to change the banjo?
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by B3mith:

Yup.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by B3mith:

Actually no. You have to unbolt the brake booster from the firewall, but the hydraulic lines don't have to be disconnected.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently got Rodney's Master Clutch cylinder and bled my own car. Mine was sitting dead even with the brake pedal but I adjusted the banjo (if it's installed it will be the gold piece inside of the car.) I circled this piece in red:

Just loosen it up with some pliers and a wrench and BANG you can move it as far back as the pedal will go.

FYI: Make sure the banjo is facing up (opposite of how my photo has it) when you install it onto the clutch pedal. If you do it the wrong way your pedal will be SUPER stiff.

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 02-11-2015).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you leave a small amount of free play in the pedal.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock