Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Mr Injector --- anyone use this rebuilding service??

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mr Injector --- anyone use this rebuilding service?? by Notorio
Started on: 02-09-2015 03:20 PM
Replies: 19 (747 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 02-11-2015 11:40 PM
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From my 'clouds of smoke' thread I've been looking at options to clean/rebuild/replace my fuel injectors. This rebuild service from Mr. Injector looks pretty reasonable. Anyone have experience with them? It makes sense that an off-the-car ultrasonic cleaner will do a better job than an on-the-car approach. Any comments?

http://www.mrinjector.us/

p.s. not my daily driver so I can take the car out of service for a while ...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no experience with this particular business you are asking about... but I just changed my injectors and I thought I'd share this with you.

I bought six rebuilt and flow-matched injectors with one year warranty and no core charge from Precision Auto Injectors in Orlando, FL. Current retail is $89.99 for the set:

http://precisionautoinjecto...-8l-fuel-injectors-1

Fast shipping, great price, and the injectors work perfect. I even got a discount using the code "jeep" at checkout.

Keep in mind that you can buy brand new "Brand-X" injectors for $120 or so from RockAuto.com.

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 02-09-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ITALGT:

I bought six rebuilt and flow-matched injectors with one year warranty and no core charge from Precision Auto Injectors in Orlando, FL. Current retail is $89.99 for the set:

http://precisionautoinjecto...-8l-fuel-injectors-1

Fast shipping, great price, and the injectors work perfect. I even got a discount using the code "jeep" at checkout.

And I was going to add (for those that didn't see ITALGT's thread) that I got a heck of a deal at that same place... $77.20 total cost (including shipping) for the six rebuilt injectors, as discussed HERE.

I'm mentioning this just in case they again offer this great deal. (I suspect they will.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-09-2015).]

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

And I was going to add (for those that didn't see ITALGT's thread) that I got a heck of a deal at that same place... $77.20 total cost (including shipping) for the six rebuilt injectors, as discussed HERE.

I'm mentioning this just in case they again offer this great deal. (I suspect they will.)

You just had to remind me!

In all seriousness, I'm glad you chimed in. I barely missed that sale, and if I wasn't in a big hurry to get them, I would have happily waited. I was content with the $9 discount I found, so I just bought them at the regular price. Keep in mind I had to pay Florida sales tax too. The discount code "jeep" was just something I found while doing some diggin' on Google.

Something I didn't mention in my thread... the rebuilt/flow-matched injectors I received were the exact same O.E.M. disk-type Lucas Rochester Multec injectors that were removed from my engine, not the earlier pintle style injectors.

I'm actually kinda' surprised they don't require cores.

(Edited for correct info and clarity.)

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 02-10-2015).]

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used them multiple times - great results, great service.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, there is a huge price range there on Rockauto and other sites ... if going new, how is one to know which brand to get? Seems like a total crap shoot.

I'll probably go ahead and get the refurbished ones instead of sending mine in. But, I wonder what cores they have used ... could they have come from a car with 150K miles on it? Since they are essentially just cleaning them and replacing O-rings and filter, should I be concerned about the 'tip' that has been opening/closing millions of times?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You just had to remind me.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to rub it in. I'm just hoping that more members of PFF can pick up a good deal there if/when that special sale price is offered again.

I'm actually kinda' surprised they don't require cores.

Yeah, that was a big bonus for me (in Canada) when ordering the rebuilt injectors. I didn't want to have ship cores back to the States.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-09-2015).]

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

Wow, there is a huge price range there on Rockauto and other sites ... if going new, how is one to know which brand to get? Seems like a total crap shoot.

I'll probably go ahead and get the refurbished ones instead of sending mine in. But, I wonder what cores they have used ... could they have come from a car with 150K miles on it? Since they are essentially just cleaning them and replacing O-rings and filter, should I be concerned about the 'tip' that has been opening/closing millions of times?

I ran into the same issue when I looked at Rockauto's injectors... they had decent priced brands available, but they didn't have a full set of 6 available of one of the cheaper brands. I was ready to spend a little more money on new injectors if they were available, but they weren't at the time.

There's no way of knowing the mileage that Precision Auto Injectors may have them, but I'm thinking it's not really important. After being rebuilt with new components, they are flow-matched and the spray pattern is tested. As far as what the new components are, it sounds to me like it's more than just the o-ring and filter that they replace... but I guess I could be wrong. I received the Lucas Rochester disc-type injectors and they work perfect.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to rub it in. I'm just hoping that more members of PFF can pick up a good deal there if/when that special sale price is offered again.

Yeah you were!!! J/K!! as I mentioned, I'm glad you chimed in here. I barely missed that sale so I'm just a little jealous. Ha!

(Edited for clarity)

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Something I didn't mention in my thread... the rebuilt/flow-matched injectors I received were the exact same O.E.M. ball-type Lucas injectors that were removed from the engine, not some random "it'll work" replacement.

The OE injectors that came on all the Fiero V6 engines were Rochestor pintle style injectors, not Lucas disc style injectors.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many spare Fiero parts! (I bought a set of the injectors today).
bb
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

The OE injectors that came on all the Fiero V6 engines were Rochestor pintle style injectors, not Lucas disc style injectors.

I mis-spoke, thank you for catching that. The injectors I received are in fact the Rochester disc-style Multec injectors, and not the original O.E.M. pintle style.

(Edited for clarity)

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Possibly not...

Originally posted by Racing_Master in This thread:

85 + 86 used Bosch Pintle injectors, 87 + 88 used Rochester Multec injectors. I found this out by pulling a few different engines apart. GM claimed the new Multec injector was "unable to clog" and "never needed cleaning" We know thats wrong now. If I remember right there is even a TSB on the Multec injectors stating they don't need to be cleaned.

As for the company (eBay vendor), I am unsure of their quality, but those are just reman injectors. They seem like they may work, however they look like Pintle style injectors in pic 1, and in the picture that shows their base, it looks like a 4 port multec injector. The Pintle injectors have caps and the Multec injectors are much more solid and beefy looking at the tip.

like this:

Image and TSB Info from:
Don't clean those injectors!

EDIT:

88s should definately have Multecs, 87 was the switch year so most likely some came with Multecs, some with Bosch Pintles

I haven't looked yet to see what style injectors are actually in my '88 Formula, but the rebuilt injectors I received from Precision Auto Injectors are the Multec ones.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-10-2015).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've owned dozens of '88 Fieros and of the 7 or 8 that I removed the injectors on all had the pintle style injectors. I'm not saying that no '88s came with the Multecs, just that not all of them did.
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

I've owned dozens of '88 Fieros and of the 7 or 8 that I removed the injectors on all had the pintle style injectors. I'm not saying that no '88s came with the Multecs, just that not all of them did.

Where's the orge when you need him?

I am curious what GM installed in the factory when the cars were new. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if GM sourced their Fiero injectors for the "lowest bidder" and put in whatever they had available on the assembly line. They were notorious for this practice when building a lot of their cars. It's very possible that both pintle and disc-type injectors were used throughout production, regardless of year.

That said... after I installed the Multec injectors, the engine responded amazingly and the increased drivability and power were undeniable. Exhaust fumes diminished big time and my idle stabilized too. Worth every penny if you ask me. Would the pintle-type injectors be better? I can't comment on that... maybe someone else can? (orge???)

lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Possibly not...

I haven't looked yet to see what style injectors are actually in my '88 Formula, but the rebuilt injectors I received from Precision Auto Injectors are the Multec ones.

Well possible is more actual than possibly not. I think Racing_Master has incorrect info.

My Fiero is one of the last Fieros built, as it was invoiced on July 25 1988. I am the second owner of the car, I purchased it in 1993. Early in my ownership of the car I did replace my injectors with a set of ADS Super Injectors. ADS was a company similar to Hypertech and Jet, but they sold injectors as well as "Superchips". The ADS replacement injectors are "Lucas" disc style injectors, but the OE ones are pintle style. I pulled the original injectors out of my engine and here's a couple pictures of them:

In the early to mid 90's I was an active member of the Michigan Fiero Club. I worked on several members cars and did a tear down of the top of the engine to clean/detail everything. I never pulled a fuel rail that had multitec injectors from any Fiero of any model year. GM did not switch injector style on the Fiero at any point in the production: they all received pintle injectors.

[This message has been edited by lateFormula (edited 02-11-2015).]

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am curious what GM installed in the factory when the cars were new. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if GM sourced their Fiero injectors for the "lowest bidder" and put in whatever they had available on the assembly line. They were notorious for this practice when building a lot of their cars. It's very possible that both pintle and disc-type injectors were used throughout production, regardless of year.

It's possible they installed whatever they had on hand.....IDK. I do know that my first Fiero was an '88 GT that I bought in 1990 with 23K miles. Several years later I pulled the injectors out (pulled the heads off for a valve job) and it had pintle style injectors. That car was 100% original and I was the second owner. In the early 2000's I helped a friend get one of his Fieros up and running. It was an '88 Formula with a little over 100 miles on the odometer (i.e. brand new). He was the original owner and the car sat in a warehouse for 13 or so years. I changed the fuel pump and then the injectors (which were clogged). They too were the pintle style.

That first Fiero of mine was VIN #13007 (built date 12/87) and the Formula was later than that.....it had T-Tops and I believe it was built in April 1988 (so VIN ~18xxx-20xxx range). I don't see when the Multecs could ever have been installed from the factory, but again.....anything is possible. Maybe the very late build cars had them? Maybe cars built after May 1988? Maybe all of the cars I've owned just happened to have the pintle style and it was luck of the draw that I never saw Multecs......who knows?

I am inclined to believe that all V-6 Fieros came with pintle style injectors, but I can't say that as 100% fact.
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrfiero

8996 posts
Member since Mar 99

GM did not switch injector style on the Fiero at any point in the production: they all received pintle injectors.

It took me forever to type out my reply above......you have confirmed what I believe (from my experience anyway) that all Fieros came with pintle injectors.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well possible is more actual than possibly not. I think Racing_Master has incorrect info.

I dunno... I'm just the messenger.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The newer injector type will install and work correctly, won't they?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

The newer injector type will install and work correctly, won't they?

The archives here contain plenty of threads of people discussing Multec injectors. As long as the coil resistance is good, and the fuel pressure hasn't been cranked up, they'll be fine. I'm looking forward to running the rebuilt ones I bought.

In this video, the Multec injector is the second one from the left. I like the spray pattern.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-11-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock