Shift knob for 6 speed swap. by garage monster
Started on: 02-06-2015 10:59 PM
Replies: 10 (458 views)
Last post by: mkman on 02-08-2015 03:58 PM
garage monster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can anybody tell me a source of a shift knob with the correct 6 speed pattern on it or tell me what threads are on the 4 speed shifter that was modified for the 6 speed?
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock thread pattern is M16x1.5

This is from another thread:

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I got home at a reasonable hour and my new shifter knob was waiting for me:

It was $16 on ebay and had the right shift pattern for the F40 - its for a VW. The install takes some work as the shifter knobs snaps in place on the VW and I needed it to thread into place. Here is an underside pic:

I cut the tabs off and used a large drill bit to bevel the area (the knob material is plastic):

To tap it for the M16 x 1.5 thread, I ended up running a .55" drill bit down the hole to enlarge it slightly. Next I ran a .63" bit down about 1.5" to allow the knob to slide over the shaft. Last I tapped the bottom of the hole for the shifter shaft. Here is an installed pic:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-07-2015).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only issue I had with that cheapo knob is the pattern disk came loose. So I used some black RTV to glue it back down and it has been fine ever since.
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't get around these parts much any more... But figured I'd chime in on this one - I have the same shift pattern in the Lotus, and used this engraved 2" stainless shift knob. It does come in M16x1.5 thread, and you can pick the color of the powdercoating in the pattern. Definite down-side is it's almost $100 shipped..

http://shop.moddiction.com/...-Shift-Knobs-006.htm

In the Lotus:
garage monster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2015 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only issue I had with that cheapo knob is the pattern disk came loose. So I used some black RTV to glue it back down and it has been fine ever since.

So the portion you threaded was plastic and no problems? Looks good I will check Ebay.

Thanks
garage monster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2015 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

garage monster

350 posts
Member since Nov 2007
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Riceburner98:

I don't get around these parts much any more... But figured I'd chime in on this one - I have the same shift pattern in the Lotus, and used this engraved 2" stainless shift knob. It does come in M16x1.5 thread, and you can pick the color of the powdercoating in the pattern. Definite down-side is it's almost $100 shipped..
[QUOTE]

IF I had a Lotus I would go for the same knob. I will check them out.

Thanks

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2015 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My input is the size of the shifter ball. When I went to make the first Sport Shifter for my 88 Mera i bought a Hurst 2" shifter ball. In my opinion the 2" shifter ball is just too large for the Fiero interior and in my opinion looks out of place. So I use a smaller shifter ball on my Sport Shifters. 1 3/4". A 1 3/4" shifter ball looks more in tune with the smaller Fiero interior.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2015 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by garage monster:
So the portion you threaded was plastic and no problems?

Thanks

Correct, the shift knob body is plastic.

Be cautious with aluminum shift knobs. They get very, very hot in a parked car during the summer (ran one for several years).
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2015 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Be cautious with aluminum shift knobs. They get very, very hot in a parked car during the summer (ran one for several years).

You can always buy a shift knob cover. Put this on when you park to keep it from getting too hot.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Blac...em1e9334377d&vxp=mtr
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2015 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Correct, the shift knob body is plastic.

After 8 hours in the sun with the top off I swear I could brand the shift pattern into my hand.. Don't forget FREEZING cold in the winter too.

When I had the Fiero I ran a Grant Evolution shift knob which I thought was proportioned pretty well (and plastic), no shift pattern on it though. I tried it in the Scion and the Lotus and it feels way too small..
mkman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2015 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out the 2014 Ford Mustang shift knob. Wrong thread, it is a M12x1.25, but very nice looking and can be found cheap on ebay. It is what I will be running in my 6 speed swap.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock