Steering Rack Reinstall by bomluuk
Started on: 02-06-2015 06:54 PM
Replies: 8 (270 views)
Last post by: bomluuk on 02-07-2015 06:05 PM
bomluuk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled my rack out, changed the bushing, and now I'm having a heck of a time getting it back in.
Getting the pinion shaft back in is where I'm running into the trouble. Any advice on making it easier?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
getting the pinion gear back into the rack, OR getting the pinion shaft back onto the steering column ??
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting the pinion shaft back onto the steering column.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't bolt the rack to the car, get the shaft onto the rack before mounting anything. This is the hardest part of the whole rack refurb process. Especially trying to keep it straight as you move the rack around trying to get it back on.
ninjayogi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this for the first time a month or so ago. He is correct put it in bolt it down about 1/2 of the way down on the passenger side and none on the driver, get the shaft lined up and try to drive it in a little ways with a rubber mallet. Once it is in as far as you can get it with the mallet, bolting the drivers side down will seat it the rest of the way. I found the clear rubber boot way more irritating.
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ninjayogi:

I just did this for the first time a month or so ago. He is correct put it in bolt it down about 1/2 of the way down on the passenger side and none on the driver, get the shaft lined up and try to drive it in a little ways with a rubber mallet. Once it is in as far as you can get it with the mallet, bolting the drivers side down will seat it the rest of the way. I found the clear rubber boot way more irritating.

I hate that boot more than anything right now!

Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simply slide the rubber boot up the steering shaft, then put a small screw driver through the center of the U-joint you now see on the steering shaft. The screw driver will hold the boot up and out of your way till you get the shaft connector onto the pinion shaft of the rack.

As far as the shaft connector goes, you might again use a small screw driver or the like to spread slightly the shaft connector to make it easier to install on the pinion. Once installed back to its original position remove the screw driver. Finally, put a little Loc-Tite blue or red on the connector screw and install to the correct torque. Your done. Oh, be sure to tighten your rack mounting bolts with Loc-Tite and the correct torque. Service manual suggest replacing the rack mount bolts (4)..

Just did this job. It really is pretty easy. You will like the feel of the rack with fresh grease in it!
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a great idea to keep the boot out if the way, thanks.
Does anyone know how deep the shaft is supposed to go in the rack? I can still see about 1/2"-3/4" of it.
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bomluuk

371 posts
Member since Apr 2012
Never mind. I looked at it again from another angle and can see that it's as far in as it can go. Now I just need to get it aligned. Thanks everyone for your help.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock