Trouble getting transmission to mate with engine by masospaghetti
Started on: 02-03-2015 10:15 AM
Replies: 4 (155 views)
Last post by: masospaghetti on 02-04-2015 08:04 AM
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've having a lot of trouble getting the splines of the transmission to mate with the clutch. Is there any tricks to make this easier? I've done this job before (on this Fiero, and on other cars) and never had much issue. It seems the new clutch I bought fits a bit "tighter" on the transmission input shaft.

I've made a couple alignment pins from bolts to help guide the transmission into place but still cannot get the two to mate.

Thanks all. 3500 V6 + 5-speed Getrag.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-03-2015 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the clutch centered with the plastic/dumbie inpit shaft??
did you check the clutch to make sure it slide onto the input shaft?? just because it was in a box with a part # for that app. doesn't mean it was the correct part..

masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I used the clutch alignment tool, and I did remove the clutch disc and make sure it slides onto the input shaft.

It fits, but is pretty tight. has to be lined up just perfect, much more so than my old clutch disc.
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have run into that before, had to VERY lightly file the splines on the disk to get it to slide smooth on the input shaft.
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did what you suggested and lightly filed the splines on the clutch. It went together on the first try in literally less than 5 minutes.

Thanks for the tip!

For others, it helped a lot to make some guide pins out of M12 bolts. I cut the heads off with a band saw and threaded a couple into the engine, so when the transmission is being pushed into place, its not just hanging off of the clutch splines.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock