Code 45/ Engine Stalls by FieroJosh1993
Started on: 01-31-2015 06:53 PM
Replies: 4 (106 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 01-31-2015 09:35 PM
FieroJosh1993

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys its me again.

Ok so i got the 84 SE running the other day, but today I fire it up and after letting it warm up I get a Code 45 rich exhaust. I put it into reverse and the engine stalled, tried just going straight into drive, same thing. Also the car is idling high, like 2000 RPM. My dad said check the timing again since that was my last problem, timing was spot on. set at the recommended specs under the hood.

The car starts up fine, but idles way to high and stalls when in gear. Please help. I searched the forums for Code 45 help but it seems like every problem is different and no one every posts how they fixed it, even when most of their symptoms match mine.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you work in the engine bay it's easy to dislodge a vacuum tube or two. Make sure they are all good and get your idle down. If you still have a code 45, you could replace the 02 sensor.
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In addition to getting the high idle under control, disconnect the lockup solenoid to rule out a sticking torque converter lockup mechanism (feels the same as dumping the clutch) . If it clears up, run with it disconnected. It won't hurt anything except highway fuel mileage.
Also, automatics are supposed to have timing set IN GEAR. Find a tree to snug up to then set the timing.
Hope this helps.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I think i found the issue, let me know if this makes sense. I was reading the Fiero manual and came across the coolant temp sensor and that if its damaged it can cause problems with the entire fuel system. I checked and wouldnt u know it, a wire that goes to the coolant temp sensor was broken. So if the engine cant see how warm the engine is, then the engine will always be in open loop which explains my high idle. Still not sure about the engine stalling unless thats the cars way of saving itself before it gets to hot??

Does this seem like it could be the problem??
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The computer thinks your car is cold all the time and adds fuel. The other issues may fix themselves when you fix the CTS.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock