3800SC swap questions by Adjustso3
Started on: 01-31-2015 04:34 AM
Replies: 2 (183 views)
Last post by: Riddick85 on 02-01-2015 10:54 AM
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys. I've been doing a ton of reading and have a few questions that I can not find any answers to. 1 - My 3800SC is from a 2001 Buick Regal. The entire harness has been removed along with many of the accessories with their bolts. Everything is in boxes. What book would you recommend to help guide me put everything back together so I know what part of the harness clips to what and sizes of bolts to use for starter/alternator etc....? 2 - I was looking on eBay and there are many headers that can be used. Should I just use the stock manifolds or would you use headers since it's way easier to do this before the engine is installed. If you suggest headers. Which brand ? What brand / vender should I avoid ? 3 Where is the best place to put the coil packs ? Any part numbers for plug wires for a specific location. I do plan on moving the alternator to the PS location. 4 - What gaskets / parts should I replace before I install the engine. Thanks in advance and I appologise if this has been answered a million times but for some reason I couldn't find an exact answer.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can put the coil packs wherever you want, But , you have to "Make" the harness to reach it. I used the stock manifolds, alot easier and cheaper. Plug your harness back onto it's attaching points on the engine/trans. the plugs will ONLY Fit onto their Correct spots. THEN cut and make your new harness. moving the Alt, you need to make the harness longer, well, 2 wires anyway. OR, you can leave everything in it's STOCK location (easier to work on).1 thing you may want to Change/alter, the Oil Dipstick tube is a pain to get to after the engine is In, so if you can lengthen it a few inches it makes it alot more user friendly. my oppinion, thats what I didexcept the oil tube, found that out "after the fact" LOL
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished my 3800 using a buick engine about 3 weeks ago. One thing you need to know is the buick tensioner that will be near the fiero's firewall will not work unless you cut a piece out of the decklid hinge bracket. The grand prix one will work without modifying the hinge.

I would say forget headers for now and get it in the car and running before changing too much. If you do too much you may not have it done to enjoy it for the summer. Do more research on what headers to use and know where you want your power level in the end. There are TONS of options of headers as I have recently found out.

I had already put the battery in the front so that was the logical place for me. I actually mounted mine to the battery box. They bounce a little so I need to make them more rigid but I have until the weather breaks to figure that out. Also, the stock wiring reaches them with no problem and will not hit the belts. Also Also, the spark plug wires I used were from a 4cyl S10 and I bought 2 sets. They are long enough to work well and cheap enough to buy 2 sets, like $16 for the cheaper set.

For sure replace the lower intake gaskets between the heads and intake. It is all over the internet that they will fail and leak so buy a good set of the metal ones not plastic. While the intake is off you can figure out what you are doing with the heater core lines too. If you have to thread them, do it on a bench. It is easier and metal shavings in the engine is no good.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock