3800Sc swap, problem by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 01-30-2015 12:26 AM
Replies: 18 (434 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 02-18-2015 10:24 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 3800Sc swap into 87 GT, the car starts and runs Great, WHEN it it still in OPEN LOOP. once it warms up, the idle gets rough. Haven't driven it more than a 1/2 mile at a time (not registwered yet). it always starts right up runs like a bat out of hell all through 1st and second(never got farther than that), but right around the time I'm putting it away ( It's just about 140-160,degrees, the idle gets crappy) what am I needing to look at ? motor is bone stock, ALL NEW, 1997 Riviera automatic. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By "crappy Idle", i mean rough, not Low or high.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hook up a scanner, and log some data. Check out the MAF and the o2 sensor. Also, Verify your PCM programming matches your setup.

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both Maf and O2 are brand new. I didn't think to look at the volt meter when it was acting up. I don't HAVE a Scanner of any kind.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Both Maf and O2 are brand new. I didn't think to look at the volt meter when it was acting up. I don't HAVE a Scanner of any kind.

OBD2 scanners are cheap these days.. LOL
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/127485.html

You really need to occasionally scan to check KR and Fuel trims.

They are probably not the culprit but just because they are new doesn't mean they are without issue. Especially if they are from Auto Zone. I have received a few defective products from them.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I "Do have" a Hand Held OBD2 Scanner, but that doesn't list "fuel trim" or anything like that as far as i know. it just says if there are any codes. maybe I'm wrong, happened before. LOL
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
just went out and checked, the Alt is only putting out "sometimes" 7.5, others 11.5 , suppsed to be around 14 isn't it ?
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are going to want to use a scanner that at least can monitor O2 sensor voltage to see if it is burying rich or lean. However I can tell you that 3800s are picky about any vacuum leaks. Small ones can cause it to idle like crap once the PCM stops cold enrichment.
Yes while running your battery voltage should be above 13v. If you voltage drops enough, it will run like crap.

First time you took it out was fun wasn't it. Even running like crap, the're fun.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fun ?, an Understatement ! What are you other guys Experience with the 4t65 Trans ? It seems like it was hitting 60 in 1st gear at 5000RPM ! I was busy watching the Road to do more than a glance at the Tach and speedometer.
what speeds are Normal Wide Open Throttle Shift Points ? It must have some "Unreal Top End" !
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I first had a series 1 on a 4T60e now a series 2. Same trans(oh well). They can be over revved easy. You hold your foot there it well shift late. All of that is controlled in the programming. When I first looked at the shift to TPS tables in an editor, all I could say was, damn.
When I put it together I kind of knew what to expect. Since he helped I took it to my brother in law, just to say try this. On ramp to I95. He steps on it, says damn, lets off, says, I like this. I told him to look at the speedo. Another damn. He had no Idea we were just under 100. Few weeks ago took a fellow worker for a ride. He had been eagerly watching as I was getting parts together. He had transfered away and came back. I told him that the engine was in and running. Want to go for a ride? 2 blocks we were at 50. He said do that again and I well get sick.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Fun ?, an Understatement ! What are you other guys Experience with the 4t65 Trans ? It seems like it was hitting 60 in 1st gear at 5000RPM ! I was busy watching the Road to do more than a glance at the Tach and speedometer.
what speeds are Normal Wide Open Throttle Shift Points ? It must have some "Unreal Top End" !

More like hysterical insane fun.
Stock shift points are 5300rpm @ 44mph in 1st
Stock shift points are 5300rpm @ 83mph in 2nd
Stock shift points are 4700rpm @ 113mph in 3rd

I love the 4t65e trans. The gearing is perfect for the motor. Paddle shifters would be nice but I was ok with just tweaking the shift point programming to my liking.
I was getting to 53mph @ 6K rpm in 1st. Even spanked a nissan GTR in first with the gen III M90 so you know it was a rocket.
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1998 3800SC . Got a NEW Alternator. Now it charges at a full 14 volts even with the Headlights and the AC On. BUT, the Volt "LIGHT" in the Gauge is ON, Bright, and won't go off ! What do I need to check Now ? thanks
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are your grounds all nice and clean?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a ground from the "Alt mounting to the body", 3 from the" body to the engine", 1 from the" body to the frame", 2 from the "engine to the frame". ( I "Think" I've got that covered) LOL are there any "Hidden ones" for the gauge LIGHT ?
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow I guess you do. I don't know anything about the gauge ground but if it was me I would check the alternator connectors since that's the last thing that was dis-connected and re-connected.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013
[i][/i]

[This message has been edited by Csjag (edited 02-15-2015).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AHA ! you pegged it. I unplugged the 1 wire plug and re-installed, and now No light ! thanks. I love it when it's something Simple (and cheap) LOL
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, I just got lucky, from your previous posts I know you are a much better wrench turner than me.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn Light is ON Again !

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock