Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  84 SE: Accessory belt snapped, what needs to be done to replace?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
84 SE: Accessory belt snapped, what needs to be done to replace? by mckaymotoworks
Started on: 01-29-2015 11:24 AM
Replies: 6 (100 views)
Last post by: mckaymotoworks on 02-01-2015 12:54 PM
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been using the Fiero the past week since my Bronco is down awaiting parts from JEGS. This morning, the accessory belt snapped, luckily I caught it before it overheated.
I've read on here about swapping alternators, though many of those threads are geared towards the later models and V6.

The alternator appears rather old, while I am replacing the belt, I will replace the alternator. Does the coat hanger trick apply, and what bolts should not be removed to complicate the process?
Any tips/tricks would be appreciated.

Spence
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Click Here to Email johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's the outer belt, loosen the bolts on the alternator slide the alt in towards the motor put the new one on, and pull out on the alt to tighten belt, then while keeping tension on the alt tighten the bolts. You may have to readjust in a few days as the belt will stretch. If it's the inner one (around the AC compressor) then remove the outer belt first and you'll have to get under the car a loosen the compressor, push it in and then use the compressor to tension the belt, and replace the outer belt. If it is the inner belt I'd get a new outer belt at the same time.

If it is the inner belt, and your AC isn't working I wouldn't bother to replace inner belt. If you don't have air you only have one belt, I think.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, A/C is there, but no belt due to I am guessing a locked compressor. Thanks for the reply.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Click Here to Email johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried to go back and edit my answer, as it didn't really help you but I had a problem. I've removed the alternator on my 84 from the bottom a few times but the last time I did it I had a problem. I took the bolts out of the alt but had to take the lower alt mount off to do this. The last time I did this something slipped and I couldn't get the bolt for the lower bracket back in. This bolt is also one of the bolts for the motor mount. I had to sent it to the shop because I couldn't move the motor around to line it back up.

I've never tried it, but maybe take one end of the dogbone loose and maybe shift the motor around enough to get the alt. out. Maybe some one that's done it that way will chime in.
Ventura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm becoming somewhat of an expert on the '84. The best way I've found to remove the alternator is to remove the upper bracket. One bolt goes into the intake manifold (13mm) and there are 2 more in the head (15mm). You'll need to remove the dogbone bolt first. Swing the alternator back toward the trunk and then you can remove the bottom pivot bolt. The alternator will come out through the top if you get it oriented the right way.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ventura:

I'm becoming somewhat of an expert on the '84. The best way I've found to remove the alternator is to remove the upper bracket. One bolt goes into the intake manifold (13mm) and there are 2 more in the head (15mm). You'll need to remove the dogbone bolt first. Swing the alternator back toward the trunk and then you can remove the bottom pivot bolt. The alternator will come out through the top if you get it oriented the right way.

Excellent feedback. Now hopefully we'll both find a Holley intake. ;-)
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided since the car will be traded soon, the new owner adding the manual, to replace just the belt. Having a tough time getting the dogbone bolts loose.
Using air ratchet just to loosen, bolt is near the end, the ratchet will not go anymore. I have 140 PSI/33 gallon tank.

Also, how do you get the belt under the timing mark bracket? I loosened a bolt above it thinking it would remove it, still in place.
I cannot find how to replace belt in my factory manual, I must be overlooking it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock