Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  So I had a '88 Zimmer Quicksilver get towed in recently...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
So I had a '88 Zimmer Quicksilver get towed in recently... by QuickSilver Mechanic
Started on: 01-29-2015 10:59 AM
Replies: 33 (1509 views)
Last post by: tshark on 02-11-2015 03:41 PM
QuickSilver Mechanic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuickSilver MechanicSend a Private Message to QuickSilver MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recently I had a regular customer call over to the shop, inquiring about getting some service done on his '88 Zimmer Quicksilver. Our shop owner had apparently OKed having it sent over, but it arrived with a list much longer than anything we had ever discussed with him. The vehicle had a few regular service items on it (change plugs, check tires, change oil and fluids, etc...) and then one that stood out a bit more than the others: Repair power steering.

Now, if you're familiar with the Quicksilver you understand why this was the daunting portion of the task. If you're not familiar with the Quicksilver, you're probably wondering why the heck the new guy is posting about something other than a Fiero. The Zimmer Quicksilver was based on the chassis of the Fiero, except that it was completely modified to reflect the classic luxury look and feel that Zimmer sought in all of their automobiles. To be clear, this is not a kit car. This is a complete, no-lose-ends, no mismatched body panels, luxury coup, with a ridiculous attempt at classic styling. These cars were hand built from the ground up, starting with just a chassis. One of the key features of the Zimmer Quicksilver was that it had power steering, whereas it's Pontiac counterpart did not.They achieved this using a modified rack from a Merkur XR4Ti.

On to the fun part. The power steering on this leaks like a sieve, so every couple of turns you need to put another bottle of fluid in. We initially sent the rack off to a company (let's call them B2 Cardon't) to have all of the seals replaced and to hopefully solve this problem. A week or so after sending it out, the company called and requested (in very broken English) the VIN off the vehicle. After a few minutes of trying to explain to the gentleman that the Fiero VIN on the car wouldn't help him find information on the Merkur rack, he took us at our word. A few days later we got another call saying that they couldn't (possibly wouldn't) work on it and were sending it back. I believe that they refused service because we didn't give them a VIN and due to some kind of liability issue they didn't want to fool with it. We're still waiting to hear the specifics on that in case we get word that the housing is cracked or warped.

After doing a bit of research, I came across a few different sources detailing how I could go about modifying a rack for use in a Fiero. We can fabricate here, that's not a problem, honestly though I'd rather have the original rack remanufactured. I've been talking to a company on the west coast that claims they might be able to it, but I'd much rather find someone on the east coast since this thing has been up on a rack for 2 weeks already. So if anyone knows of a place that might be interested in rebuilding this rack, please send me the information so I can free up some valuable shop space.

In the meantime, anyone have any questions about the Quicksilver? It's here and it's going to be here awhile, so feel free to ask about any of the specs on it or for pictures.

------------------
I'd love to own my own Fiero, but for now I'm just fixing someone else's chimera...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 2000-up Camaro rack can be used. Check with West Coast Fiero for information on their approach.
I just installed one on an 86, there were a few small glitches with the adapter bracket to mount the rack, but its very do-able.
QuickSilver Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuickSilver MechanicSend a Private Message to QuickSilver MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info, thanks! Did you have to adapt the input shaft? The connection there and the tie rods were my biggest concern for installation. The Merkur rack had to be done up a bit, but mounted in easily from the looks of things.

Also, I just got a call that the reman company may have actually fixed the rack... the email information we got showed that it had been rejected for repair, but the rep didn't know what we were talking about when we asked why it had been rejected.

At any rate, I'll be posting a picture of the rack once it comes in, fixed or no. I'm sure there's someone around who like to see exactly what was done to this thing.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Input shaft is direct fit, inner rods require a male/male adapter. Info is on the WCF website.
WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen a number of horrific kits and downright dangerous stretch jobs, but the Quicksilver had to be the most professional jobs outside of factory in terms of welds and finish. If I remember correctly the front compartment under the hood was carpeted the same material in the trunk. Peaking under the carpet I was expecting it to hide a butchers hacking but was surprised how well things were placed, painted and clean.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.zimmermotorcars....e=used-zimmer-prices

You may want to contact the company to see if there are any available parts for the power steering.

http://www.carparts.com/veh...86/Merkur/XR4Ti.html power steering parts.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

http://www.zimmermotorcars....e=used-zimmer-prices

Last time I perused the Zimmer site they said they had no parts for the Quicksilver.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would it be possible to get (any) VIN from the rack source car? Or maybe just an OEM rebuilt rack and then modify from existing parts?
QuickSilver Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuickSilver MechanicSend a Private Message to QuickSilver MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Would it be possible to get (any) VIN from the rack source car? Or maybe just an OEM rebuilt rack and then modify from existing parts?

Sadly I didn't get a chance to scour the rack for a VIN before it got sent out and I'm not even sure if there is one. I was able to locate some original racks for the XR4Ti, but due to the amount of modification needed, we decided to try the route of getting it repaired first. With any luck this thing will come back, sealed up and ready to put back in.

I did come across this link while searching for options though. It's a rather thorough walk through of how to convert an XR4Ti rack for use in a Fiero. The Quicksilver has a bit more room to work with since they stretched the nose out to make the front trunk roomier, but I believe this is essentially what was done.
QuickSilver Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuickSilver MechanicSend a Private Message to QuickSilver MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

QuickSilver Mechanic

11 posts
Member since Jan 2015

Originally posted by WKDFIRO:

I've seen a number of horrific kits and downright dangerous stretch jobs, but the Quicksilver had to be the most professional jobs outside of factory in terms of welds and finish. If I remember correctly the front compartment under the hood was carpeted the same material in the trunk. Peaking under the carpet I was expecting it to hide a butchers hacking but was surprised how well things were placed, painted and clean.

Like I said, this is not a kit car. Other than a few places where they chopped and stretched the frame, it's extremely clean and well put together.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Camaro rack requires much less fab and mod time than the Merkur or Chevette.
It might make sense to give your customer an upgrade to something more readily available.
I think the Camaro rack was only $230.
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting thread, thanks for posting QuickSilver Mechanic, hope it all works out.
Isnt it cool you instantly found a guy who had replaced a rack in a Quicksilver?

QuickSilver Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuickSilver MechanicSend a Private Message to QuickSilver MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The Camaro rack requires much less fab and mod time than the Merkur or Chevette.
It might make sense to give your customer an upgrade to something more readily available.
I think the Camaro rack was only $230.

Awesome, I'll probably be going down that path if the old rack gets back and is defunct. The owner wants to keep the car as "Original as possible" (Yeah... I felt the irony in those words), so we're hoping the rack from the reman company turns out alright.

Originally posted by 2.5:

Interesting thread, thanks for posting QuickSilver Mechanic, hope it all works out.
Isnt it cool you instantly found a guy who had replaced a rack in a Quicksilver?

Definitely knew this was the right place to ask about it, but I assumed that he meant the application worked on the Fiero chassis. If he had replaced the rack on a Quicksilver, that would blow my mind, as there are only about 600 of them around (sans whatever was lost to poor driving and a lack of available parts.)

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Actually not on a Zimmer, but on a stretched 86 Fiero chassis with very nice Testa Rosa rebody on it.
I have seen a few Zimmers, not my cup of tea.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18044 posts
Member since May 2004
Hope your repair works out.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 01-30-2015).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just put a 1995 Trans Am rack into my Fiero, had to make a bracket and get the" tie rod adapters", but NOT a hard job. works great. And they are Plentiful and cheap.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason they needed the VIN is that the XR4Ti used two racks - a TRW and a ZF. The very early cars - '85 - mid '86 used the TRW (2.75 turns) and mid '86 & up used the ZF (3.2 turns). They are 100% interchangeable outside of the inner tie rods. Aside from the ratios, you can tell them apart as the TRW racks have a smooth body and the ZF racks a waffled one. If the earlier, quick-ratio isn't important you could order from from a '86+ Merkur Scorpio - it's the same ZF rack used for the entire run. You can get repair kits from pskits.com if you don't mind doing it yourself. You can get these racks anywhere, I bought one last year from Advance Auto Parts (a Fenco reman). Money no object, I'd buy one from Maval out in Ohio.

QuickSilver Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuickSilver MechanicSend a Private Message to QuickSilver MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

The reason they needed the VIN is that the XR4Ti used two racks - a TRW and a ZF. The very early cars - '85 - mid '86 used the TRW (2.75 turns) and mid '86 & up used the ZF (3.2 turns). They are 100% interchangeable outside of the inner tie rods. Aside from the ratios, you can tell them apart as the TRW racks have a smooth body and the ZF racks a waffled one. If the earlier, quick-ratio isn't important you could order from from a '86+ Merkur Scorpio - it's the same ZF rack used for the entire run. You can get repair kits from pskits.com if you don't mind doing it yourself. You can get these racks anywhere, I bought one last year from Advance Auto Parts (a Fenco reman). Money no object, I'd buy one from Maval out in Ohio.

Good grief... perhaps there's a build sheet out there somewhere that details all of this information. I'll have to let you know which they put in the vehicle.

Originally posted by lou6t4gto:

I just put a 1995 Trans Am rack into my Fiero, had to make a bracket and get the" tie rod adapters", but NOT a hard job. works great. And they are Plentiful and cheap.

Interesting.. sounds like if there is a will, there is most certainly a way!
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by QuickSilver Mechanic:Good grief... perhaps there's a build sheet out there somewhere that details all of this information. I'll have to let you know which they put in the vehicle.

If the car is an '88, I gotta believe they used an '88 ZF rack. The TRW racks are very rare - < 18 months of use in a car that wasn't made in big numbers. Although, I guess maybe the Sierras use them in previous years overseas? I dunno. In any case, by '88 all the Merkurs used the ZF rack. I'll bet the Zimmer is a ZF.

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by QuickSilver Mechanic:

... feel free to ask about any of the specs on it or for pictures.

Sheeeiiiit. No one here asked for pics yet (!?) I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the Quicksilver AND the Chimera.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the XR4Ti rack in my 88 Mera. The steering is so fast it is almost scary. The first time I drove it after I installed it I went to make a left turn. I ended up somewhat in the oncoming traffic lane it turned so fast. Good thing there was no car in that lane at that time. Maybe mine is a TRW rack?? One of the best improvements IMO that I did to my 88 Mera. Like driving an Indy car now.

Rodney
1988 Mera
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Quicksilver Mechanic, if you want to get that car off your rack and out of your shop til parts are available,, just put a standard Fiero rack back in it with an intermediate shaft and your good to go.

This could give you more time to locate the needed parts. Who knows, your customer may like a little road feel.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

QuickSilver Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuickSilver MechanicSend a Private Message to QuickSilver MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Sheeeiiiit. No one here asked for pics yet (!?) I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the Quicksilver AND the Chimera.

Well the Quicksilver is the Chimera that I was referring to. It's a mix of Merkur, a Fiero, styling from another era, and goodness knows what else.

Nothing screams luxury coupe quite like an enormous Chrome bumper.

The front end of the stretched out chassis.

The Quicksilver itself.

Rear trunk, complete with plush red carpet.

Wouldn't you love to have this interior in your Fiero?

Front trunk, because you can never have too much plush red carpet.

The put on a custom intake, but there's still a "Powered by General Motors" stamp.
QuickSilver Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuickSilver MechanicSend a Private Message to QuickSilver MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

QuickSilver Mechanic

11 posts
Member since Jan 2015
Well that didn't work out quite right... any ideas about what I did wrong?

In the mean time, the pictures are all at http://imgur.com/a/vt6DY
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Download Pennock's Image Poster, the blue box at the bottom of the page. There are size limits. If you're using a high resolution try to resize using your camera software or photoshop or something.
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little off topic but I was just curious is the Fiero Vin a GT, Formula or Coupe Vin. I'm guessing Formula.
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Huggie Bear just called... He's wondering when his car will be done.
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vampire:

A little off topic but I was just curious is the Fiero Vin a GT, Formula or Coupe Vin. I'm guessing Formula.

I don't think it's an 88.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

It has pre-88 front suspension and a trunk cooling fan.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 02-03-2015).]

QuickSilver Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuickSilver MechanicSend a Private Message to QuickSilver MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

The VIN comes out as a 1987 Fiero SE, but I believe Zimmer released it as an '88.
QuickSilver Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuickSilver MechanicSend a Private Message to QuickSilver MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rack finally came back and it's been repaired! We might be having an issue with the pump now, but hopefully it was just air trying to get out of the lines...

*For whatever reason, I can't get things to post properly or don't have permission to post them in the first place...

http://i.imgur.com/xTihbkE.jpg

[This message has been edited by QuickSilver Mechanic (edited 02-04-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
QuickSilver Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuickSilver MechanicSend a Private Message to QuickSilver MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The actual technician was a bit upset that I stole his thunder with my name, so here's a picture of him with the installed rack.

http://imgur.com/zpzJN1L

[This message has been edited by QuickSilver Mechanic (edited 02-11-2015).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny pic
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock