Crank No Start by FieroJosh1993
Started on: 01-27-2015 10:43 PM
Replies: 9 (233 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 01-28-2015 06:04 PM
FieroJosh1993

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys so i am having yet another starting issue with my 84 SE this time. I searched the forums for some help but couldnt really find any.

As some of you know my GT is also having a starting issue as well, i need a new tach filter which is on the way from Rodney. So ive been driving my SE for the past few days, i could feel a misfire so i check the spark plugs and wires. I had 1 wire that was bad so i decided to do a tune up, new plugs and wires. I got normal Ac/delco plugs and wires and had them in within 30 mins, go to fire up the car and all it did was crank. double checked everything and couldnt find the issue. Check for spark at the coil and didnt get one. I had a coil I bought 3 months ago still on my shelf so i put it on, still just cranks, the coil does have spark.

I did nothing with the timing and I can smell raw gas so I am getting fuel. No codes and the ECM seems to be working fine. Could really use some help with this one. Im just out of ideas as far as what might be wrong.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you replace the plug wires one by one?

Go back to the beginning. Does the tach move when you crank the starter?
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes i did do the plug wires one by one, and the tach jumps to 300 rpm while cranking which is good if i recall correctly. Im double checking my grounds for the coil bracket now and after that if it still doesnt fire up im lost.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check your cap for a broken center pin
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check the cap and everything looks good, but the bolt that is used to loosen the cap when you are doing timing was already loose, so now i think my timing is off, ive been slowly turning the cap one way or another and the car sometimes acts like its gonna fire up and then doesnt, so looks like maybe my timing is off just enough to not start the car. how do i find the right spot for my timing if the car isnt running??
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest pulling out the manual and aligning the distributor with the piston (tdc).... basically, old school verification.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, i am going to do that now. im almost sure its my timing now, i have spark on all cyl and at the coil, fuel is getting to the TB and i have no codes. this reminds me of when i was getting my GT to fire up the first time. timing was off and took some doing but got it running. Spent most of the morning at the shop i took my GT to when it broke down, replacing the Tach filter and coil, GT is now running fine. So thanks to everyone that helped with that issue. Now if i can just get my SE running again.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroJosh1993

273 posts
Member since Sep 2012
i think i drained my battery to much. car is cranking really slow and i have the timing about mid way between to retarded and to advanced, I put the battery on a charger and will give it an hour or two before trying to mess with the timing again.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroJosh1993

273 posts
Member since Sep 2012
Got it running!!!!!!!!!!! timing was off and battery was dead, new battery and got the timing perfect, runs way better then before. thanks for the help guys
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock