E-brake cable stuck? by pajman97
Started on: 01-27-2015 06:08 PM
Replies: 8 (200 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 01-29-2015 06:08 PM
pajman97

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pajman97Send a Private Message to pajman97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my first project car and I need some help from the pros and offical Fiero fans. The problem is that my E-brake cable will not pull out to connect to the required spot. To my knowledge the cable is in good condition and connected to the rest of the car properly. The only problem is the it will not pull out in any way. I have tryed WD40 and pliers but the cable wont buge. I know there is already a section on E-brake Cable Adjustment, but either I cant make sense of it or it doesn't pertain to my issue. Also the repair manual just says to re-conect the cable to the handle. So any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these new cables? If not, they can be rusted and will not move. Disconnect the equalizer and see if you can move the cable. If not, it is rusted, or crimped. Time for a new set of cables.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-27-2015).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I understand correctly you're talking about the front cable, the one connected to the e-brake handle. Maybe it's on. If the handle comes up easily and the other end of the cable doesn't move your e-brakes are on - or would be if they were connected. To release pull the handle up and push down on the release button. Then move the handle down.

If the cable is bad, here's a trick to replacing it: Undo the cable at the handle end, attach it to the new cable, and pull the other end. Much easier than taking the seat belt and pillar molding off and trying to push the cable through the grommet.
pajman97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pajman97Send a Private Message to pajman97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help, really some great people on here. The cables (to my knowledge) are old so I guess I will have to take some more panels off to get to my equalizer to check/ work on it.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The equalizer is at the back of the car, it is the point where the actuator cable attaches to the caliper cables.
Pre-88 is located behind and under the rear cradle, 88 is located inside the front cross member of the rear cradle.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85 Equalizer

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced all my e brake cables. Your front cable must be in the on position. Lift the brake handle up. Hold the release button down, lower the handle, while someone else pulls on the cable in back of the car. It should pull right out to it's off position. It won't release by just pressing the release button and lowering the handle.

Good luck!

------------------
woodys 427

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If your cables are corroded, my experience is that no amount of trying to lube them will help. Find the ones which are rusted (there are three cables) and replace the ones affected.

As mentioned earlier though, make sure you've actually released the parking brake!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock