How the F did that break? by KentsOkay
Started on: 01-27-2015 04:46 PM
Replies: 8 (373 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 01-29-2015 10:13 AM
KentsOkay

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentsOkaySend a Private Message to KentsOkayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shifter in my '87 GT flops side to side, so I yanked apart the center console and found the selector cable (the one closest to the driver) had popped off of the shifter stick at the ball joint. Closer inspection showed the axle pin that holds it in place is SHEARED OFF

Any idea what would have caused that to happen? I bought the car non running after sitting for many years, I was going to drain the gas tank today but realized the fuel filter removal is going to require jacking the car up, so instead I checked the only "obviously broken" issue I had noticed.

As for fixing, I was thinking about drilling out and threading for a new pin and just using some threaded rod as a pin.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kent....your car is 28 years old. There are going to be many more setbacks. Rodney is your friend!

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-27-2015).]

KentsOkay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentsOkaySend a Private Message to KentsOkayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My daily driver is 25 years old, it's all good! Just wasn't the problem I was expecting haha.
FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same issue due to a sticking shift cable and me banging on the shifter to get it to move.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya someone pulled or pushed real hard. Most issues are due to previous owners.
KentsOkay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentsOkaySend a Private Message to KentsOkayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the shifter cable sticks, I just need to replace it, yes?
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That actually happened on my SHO many years ago.

I miss that car, it was even more ridiculous than a Fiero.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KentsOkay:

If the shifter cable sticks, I just need to replace it, yes?

Detach it at the transmission and see if the shifter moves smoothly for it's full range.

If not, Rodney will help you with this too.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...o.php?products_id=37

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-29-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock