Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Horn pin is broken and missing... new steering wheel? or can I fix it?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Horn pin is broken and missing... new steering wheel? or can I fix it? by soup
Started on: 01-26-2015 05:33 PM
Replies: 29 (810 views)
Last post by: soup on 04-03-2015 10:20 PM
soup

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,
So my teenage self some 12 years or so ago, decided it would be cool to replace a perfectly good looking black GT Steering Wheel with a Grant aftermarket.

In order to get the grant to work, I have to break off the post/plunger/what-cha-ma-call-it for the horn.

So now, I have found a good condition original GT steering wheel again and I have installed it. It looks great, but the problem is... there is no horn because there is no pin for it to depress and make contact.

So I am trying to find out what I should do. There is the wire that I had pulled through the hole where the pin was. So I have the wire that I can attach to an aftermarket, or re-solder or whatever I have to do... but short of taking part of the column apart I am not sure how to proceed.

Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated.

(I have Amida's dash, so if I do an aftermarket I would want to try and get the g6 steering wheel to work, or something more modern like that. Not sure if this is possible / worth the cost.... the cost of the airbags won't be worth it, and I won't really want a loaded airbag in my fiero).

------------------

If you like what I am contributing, please vote.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the same problem with mine, found the parts to repair it on e-bay. With the right adapter the grant wheel will fit the with out cutting anything off.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it just the aluminum pin for the 3-spoke wheel that you need? If that's the case, I have half dozen or so and could send you one.
soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's kind of you, thank you but I think I need more.
It is hard to say what I need because it was over 10 years ago but if I remember correctly it was a plack plastic tube piece that held the pin that I had to cut off.

I think I need whatever that tube connects to that houses the pin.... If that makes any sense. I tried to find some photos so I could highlight what I am missing. I can't go take a photo of my car because it isn't there I will keep seeing if I can find a photo.

[This message has been edited by soup (edited 01-26-2015).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotcha. There's the pin and a spring, the black piece and then there's the contact ring with a neck that protrudes up through the hole in the steering wheel. This is what the pin and spring fit into and the black tube piece clips into. I think I have everything but the contact ring and am in need of one for my 86.
soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.fieros.de/jpg/col2.jpg
http://www.fieros.de/jpg/col5.jpg

In those photos, I don't have that piece protruding nor the pin that goes in it.

[This message has been edited by soup (edited 01-26-2015).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The protruding piece is a part of the horn contact ring underneath the wheel. The black plastic piece is over the wire and the metal pin fits down into that protruding piece. The black plastic piece locks into the small latch notch you can see in the side of your illustration. I have a pin I can give you but I'm in need of that contact ring that goes underneath the steering wheel.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The name of the part you need is called a "cancel cam". It contains the horn slip ring and attaching point for the horn wire. I have one that you can have for the cost of shipping. Pretty much any older GM steering column will use the same part as the Fiero.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 01-26-2015).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll give soup the black plastic piece, spring and pin. Who gets the cancel cam?
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Soup, if he wants it. A small flat rate box to Canada is $20 bucks.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the states, the small flat rate box is $5.90. Another $19 just to get it across the border? I wonder how much a small bubble envelope is?

Hey, Soup, send me your address and pay the shipping and I'll send my stuff any method you want.
PFF
System Bot
slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any parts store should have that cancel cam.

I'm notorious for breaking them and I got tired of pulling wheels at the junkyard. Plus, they get brittle with age. Turns out paying a couple of extra bucks for a new one is totally worth it.
soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am a bit confused, I did the "check if this fits your vehicle" and it says it doesn't fit.
Can I use that cancel cam?

Or do I have to find a different one for the fiero?

EDIT: Sorry, I totally didn't see that you had the cancel cam seajai

I think it is only fair that fierofool gets the cam as he is offering me the other parts, and that is the only part that he needs. I am sure I can locate one elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by soup (edited 01-27-2015).]

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by soup:

I am a bit confused, I did the "check if this fits your vehicle" and it says it doesn't fit.
Can I use that cancel cam?

Or do I have to find a different one for the fiero?

They're all pretty much the same. I have one from a Fiero and one from a mid 90's Cadillac and they are basically the same. The only difference is that the Cadillac one has a cover on the top of the plastic and the Fiero one does not.

Shipping to Canada is always more expensive than the states. Its more than double to ship my dew wipes to anywhere in Canada.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let soup have the cam. I can pick up one at the parts store if they're that common. Thanks.
slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Let soup have the cam. I can pick up one at the parts store if they're that common. Thanks.

Should be in the HELP! section.
soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent to both of you guys. You guys are awesome! Thank you so much. With no even knowing how to describe my issue, I thought for sure I was going to be SOL.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slicknick:

Should be in the HELP! section.

They aren't in stock in any of the Advance or AutoZone stores here. Called the NAPA store nearby and they have them. They show 2 different units. One for tilt and one for non-tilt columns.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They aren't in stock in any of the Advance or AutoZone stores here. Called the NAPA store nearby and they have them. They show 2 different units. One for tilt and one for non-tilt columns.

This one matches the Fiero one I have with the exception of the black cover on the top side. http://www.oreillyauto.com/...1_3472&keyword=83232

This O'Riellys shows one in stock for $5.99: 78 West May Street - Winder, GA (678) 963-0844

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 01-27-2015).]

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I called around also. Couple places just said they can't get them, even when I mentioned the other vehicles they came in. (One guy laughed when I said Fiero)... not a single person knew what a cancel cam was I had to explain it to each person. lol

A few people found it, but said they couldn't get it. I found it online at auto value but not in my area.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

This one matches the Fiero one I have with the exception of the black cover on the top side. http://www.oreillyauto.com/...1_3472&keyword=83232

This O'Riellys shows one in stock for $5.99: 78 West May Street - Winder, GA (678) 963-0844

Hey, you're good Advance, AutoZone, O'Rielly and AC Delco, IAPA and NAPA are all within a half mile circle of one another. My experience hasn't been good with that store. It can take up to a week to get things not in stock where the others can get it in a day. NAPA tends to carry 3 or 4 lines of most products, if they are made, even though prices are usually a little higher for the same products the others also carry. This Dorman is just a little over $7 at NAPA. I like the guys there because they are real gearheads, older, and know a bit about Fieros. No fire jokes from them, either. One of them befriended my brother and they often have lunch together at a nearby short order restaurant.

Seajai, have you actually used this cancel cam on the Fiero without mods?
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Seajai, have you actually used this cancel cam on the Fiero without mods?

I haven't, but I was a tech at a Buick dealer for many years and one of my jobs was to repair steering columns on cars that were stolen and recovered, so I've had my hands in my fair share of columns. The cancel cams are pretty much all the same, so looking at the Dorman 83232, I can say with 100% certainty that it will fit no problem. Maybe you would need to peel off the black plastic cover on the topside but I doubt it.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i picked up the Dorman Part Number 83232 which is for tilt wheel applications. It fit perfectly. I looked carefully at the black plastic ring to see if it interfered with any contact surfaces and didn't see anything. Got it installed but the horn still doesn't work, so there's probably another problem. The reason for replacing the cancel cam was because the locking notch was broken out.

The green one, Dorman Part Number 83233 is for non-tilt applications. I have one of those on order and when I get it, I'll compare to see what the difference is.
soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i picked up the Dorman Part Number 83232 which is for tilt wheel applications. It fit perfectly. I looked carefully at the black plastic ring to see if it interfered with any contact surfaces and didn't see anything. Got it installed but the horn still doesn't work, so there's probably another problem. The reason for replacing the cancel cam was because the locking notch was broken out.

The green one, Dorman Part Number 83233 is for non-tilt applications. I have one of those on order and when I get it, I'll compare to see what the difference is.

When i was trying to find more information about the part, before I made this post, I came across quite a few people who's horn had been disconnected for a long time, and the relay was fubar'd. When you press the horn now, do you hear a click at all?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The horn was working until the piece broke. Even when I had previously worked on it, I could touch the wire to the base and make the horn blow. I've been replacing a range hood and had to wait on my brother to get back so he could hold things for me. While I was waiting, I just did the replacement. I really didn't have time to troubleshoot it and will probably wait until the weekend. Thanks for the tip. There's no relay click when I try to blow it.

The horn pieces will go into the mail, tomorrow.
pgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may need to remove the ground wire from the horn and grind the attachment point to make for a good ground.
A bad or dirty ground can prevent your horn from working. Also if you can't find the ( Plunger) the black plastic tube piece that the horn wire goes thru you can make one using a vacuum line connector. Buy an assortment pack of connectors. Check witch one fits the tube diameter and then you can cut one side of the finger flange off and the other side just cut it down enough to leave the small piece protruding. this is the piece that hooks into the contact cam when depressed. The tube may need to be shortened a little to fit just right. The vacuum line connectors can be bought at any auto store and are no more than 3 bucks. I have some pics but don't know how to post them here yet.
contact me if you need to do this. These parts are hard to find so sometimes you have to get creative.

[This message has been edited by pgold (edited 01-29-2015).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Soup, the black plastic piece, spring and pin are in the mail.
soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well took me forever to finally get out there, and find out where I can buy a steering lock plate remover but FINALLY I HAVE A HORN! Thank you so much guys for sending those parts! You saved me! I was able to license the car temporarily but now I can finally get it in this month for safety and a permanent insurance here. Finally had the car out today. it has been 10 years since I had a working horn, stereo and speedometer. Love it!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little insight into why it may take so long and cost so much to ship to Canada from the US:

I mailed out the horn parts in a small padded envelope. On the same day it went from my post office to a sorting facility just 25 miles away, outside Atlanta.
From there, it went to Miami, Fl. and spent several days at a facility there.
Then off it went to London, UK for a short vacation over there.
From London it flies over to Vancouver, BC for a short stint and gets passed around through several facilities, then when it escapes it goes to Toronto.
Finally, it must have hopped a slow freight over to Soup.
It took about a month to make what could have been an overnight trip.
soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha, but all is well that ends well Thanks again!

A little insight into why it may take so long and cost so much to ship to Canada from the US:

I mailed out the horn parts in a small padded envelope. On the same day it went from my post office to a sorting facility just 25 miles away, outside Atlanta.
From there, it went to Miami, Fl. and spent several days at a facility there.
Then off it went to London, UK for a short vacation over there.
From London it flies over to Vancouver, BC for a short stint and gets passed around through several facilities, then when it escapes it goes to Toronto.
Finally, it must have hopped a slow freight over to Soup.
It took about a month to make what could have been an overnight trip.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock