Started on: 01-26-2015 02:29 PM
Replies: 23 (700 views)
Last post by: dobey on 02-28-2015 01:58 AM
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my son's 87 GT auto has a high pitch whine coming from inside the cabin (right side front). It changes with accelaration/deceleration. I have shut off the radio and the hvac and it doesn't change. I'm at a loss as to what could be causing it.

Any ideas would be extremely helpful!!

Dan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Domtech

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it change when you fill it with gas? My fuel pump whines when it falls below a quarter tank.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Inside the cabin Id say pull the radio fuse and see if it stops, you did say you turned it off tho.
Or
Blue dingy thingy?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-26-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2015 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Inside the cabin Id say pull the radio fuse and see if it stops, you did say you turned it off tho.
Or
Blue dingy thingy?

Radio feedback can still find its way into the speakers even when the fuse is pulled, if the radio waves are converted to electrical energy within the speaker wires.

First thing to do is to isolate where exactly the sound is coming from (if it's from a speaker, center console, etc…). If you are hearing a change in pitch that matches a change in RPM though, then it's almost certainly RF interference being picked up in the radio/speakers. Check all the ground straps for the engine, and the strap for the RF shield that's in the decklid.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also had that happen once. the engine noise feeding back into the speaker ! noise would go up and down witht the RPM like a "audio Tach"!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock stereo system in this car?
DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes a stock system is in the car.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tach filter failed? I think its purpose is not to induce noise in the radio.

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 01-28-2015).]

DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I just had a chance to look at it, I pulled the blue dingy thingy and no change. The ground strap looks good, but the one on the right side that goes from the hinge to the clip on the deck lid is broke and frayed. I went around the inside and outside (front) with a mechanics stethoscope and was unable to pin point exactly where it's coming from. I'm going to see about fixing that one ground strap as I thought I heard it's point was to decrease radio interference.

Where is the tach filter and how do I change it? (i'm so not a mechanic but willing to learn )

Thanks,

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanFiero (edited 01-29-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2015 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanFiero:

Well I just had a chance to look at it, I pulled the blue dingy thingy and now change. The ground strap looks good, but the one on the right side that goes from the hinge to the clip on the deck lid is broke and frayed. I went around the inside and outside (front) with a mechanics stethoscope and was unable to pin point exactly where it's coming from. I'm going to see about fixing that one ground strap as I thought I heard it's point was to decrease radio interference.

Where is the tach filter and how do I change it? (i'm so not a mechanic but willing to learn
Dan

From: https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...ad=20120111-2-110287

You can just loosen the bolt, unplug and replace with a new one. Rodney sells them. You can maybe disassemble and repair as well if you have some basic wiring and electronics skills. http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/tachfilt.html is a pretty good write-up on diagnosing it.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

noise would go up and down witht the RPM like a "audio Tach"!

Some people would pay good money for this feature....
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The ground strap looks good, but the one on the right side that goes from the hinge to the clip on the deck lid is broke and frayed. I'm going to see about fixing that one ground strap as I thought I heard it's point was to decrease radio interference.

Dan

Thatll probably fix it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If comes from Stock radio... radio is dieing.

Radio have capacitors that dries out over 20+ years and stops working.
Is a big cap that filters main power on the big connector will let alt whine when radio is on, especially on AM channels.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I added another ground strap and tried to repair the one that was frayed. I also removed the radio and replaced it with another Fiero radio. No change in the whine . May have to try the tach filter.

Dan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So my son's 87 GT auto has a high pitch whine coming from inside the cabin (right side front). It changes with accelaration/deceleration.
Dan

Hmm, accelaration/deceleration of the engine sitting still, or the car while moving?
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a whine also. with or with out the radio. seems to be coming from the engine. Really whines when I push on the go pedal. LOL

87 GT 3800SC
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
does it sound like its coming from the center console area?---Mine did that an annoying "fly" like whine--it was the fuel pump

------------------
Pat Jones

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you find the whine source?
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2015 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tell the passenger to quit whining.
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

I have a whine also. with or with out the radio. seems to be coming from the engine. Really whines when I push on the go pedal. LOL

87 GT 3800SC

I like that whine
DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O.K., so changed radio with another stock radio, no luck...pulled the blue box..no luck....added another ground strap...no luck, and now I have changed the alternator (which was failing any way and my best bet for a cure) and........no luck Running out of ideas other than the tach filter which I may try next.
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this noise connected to engine RPM only? Can you hear it when the car is not moving?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-27-2015).]

DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes we can here it sitting in the driveway. If we rev the engine the pitch does change but not necessarily in tune with the engine if that makes any sense.

edit: my son just informed me that it seems worse when it's cold out. "it seems to go away when it's nice out or the car is warm"

interesting....now if it would just get above zero to test this theory.

[This message has been edited by DanFiero (edited 02-27-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-28-2015 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes we can here it sitting in the driveway. If we rev the engine the pitch does change but not necessarily in tune with the engine if that makes any sense.

edit: my son just informed me that it seems worse when it's cold out. "it seems to go away when it's nice out or the car is warm"

interesting....now if it would just get above zero to test this theory.

That sounds more like a belt.

Also, I noticed that if the PCV tube is not seated in the intake tube 100% correctly, it can result in air being sucked in next to the PCV tube through the intake, and when you rev the engine, this can produce a slight "squeal" sound, due to the air passing over the rubber. It is high pitched and will happen when you step on the gas. It's not a constant noise though, only something that happens or is noticeable when the go pedal is pressed.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock