So....... my clutch just went out!!! by Spoilt_87fiero
Started on: 01-25-2015 10:38 PM
Replies: 12 (366 views)
Last post by: Spoilt_87fiero on 04-20-2015 02:03 AM
Spoilt_87fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, coming home friday night, my clutch went out in my car. Its an 88 with a 2003 3.8na and a getrag. The clutch is a spec stage 3. I'm looking for opinions from you guys. Since I'm gonna have the motor/trans out, should I put a 3800sc in it? My 3.8 now is a fairly low mileage motor that runs great and truthfully has enough power. But.... you can never really have enough power though, can you? lol. If I do swap, what would the difference be between the na and the sc? I was also considering maybe a nice cam and some valvetrain upgrades for my na. Lastly, what clutch should I go with? Should I go back with the stage 3 or maybe a 3+ even a stage 2 or would a different brand altogether? Thanks everybody for you help.

Daniel

[This message has been edited by Spoilt_87fiero (edited 01-25-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The difference between the stock NA and the stock SC is about 30 hp. As for the clutch, are you sure it isn't the hydraulics instead of the clutch plate or pressure plate? It'd be a real bummer to drop everything out, either for the clutch or engine upgrade, get it all back together only to find that you need a slave or master cylinder.
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've checked to slave and master cylinder. The slave appears to be extending properly and I don't see any leaks around either one.
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you describe the symptoms?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 443
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm confused by this thread.

The topic heading indicates it's about a clutch issue.

However, the first post seems to be more focused on asking advice on an engine swap.

So Daniel... what's the scoop?
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

So Daniel... what's the scoop?

Lol, kinda both I guess. More or less looking for opinions. My throwout bearing has been making a noise for some time now and I think it finally bite the dust. The trans still pulls fine but it is make a horrible noise with the clutch held in and tranny in gear. Since I'm going to have to drop the cradle, I was looking for ideas and opinions. I've read practically every thread on here related to it. Its just nice to hear it fresh I guess. Main concern, if I do swap, what would be the difference physically such as the wiring and mounts? I have a phonedawgz harness so I don't think there would be much difference in that area. I need no emission stuff. Or just sticking a nice cam and rockers in my current engine. I guess i'm just really looking for opinions for you guys and drawing on everybody's experience, that's all.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like you said, more power .
If it were me and It was already set up to hold a 3800, and I could afford it, I'd go SC.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsClick Here to Email hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use the SPEC Stage III Plus clutch and you should be good with either of the engines plus get a very drivable clutch.

Nelson
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another option for you is to just do a top swap on your current motor. That means throw a 3.8SC top end on your current setup. The bottom end of the stock supercharged motor is built way stronger than the N/A but so long as you don't try and go crazy with the mods it could give you the extra power you want. It is something to at least look into. Parts may end up costing around the same as the supercharged motor.
I may even have some extra parts in the garage, even though I just started this 3800 thing back in October I have accumulated lots of extra parts already.
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope to be buying an L67 or L32 in the next couple months. All I want is the block and I would be selling the "top swap" in case you might be interested.

Of course you could always do what all the cool kids are doing and just turbo charge your 3800... BWAHAHA
PFF
System Bot
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiClick Here to Email masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is your goal with the car?

I have a stock 3500 swap with the same power (200 hp) and honestly it's kind of a scary car to drive. Everything else stock, the motor can way overpower the chassis and brakes.

It's fun and all having globs of power but it just depends what you're planning on doing with it.
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the absence guys. Just been busy with work and life. I haven't had time to get around to pulling to tranny. Got her up on jackstands and I'm gonna see if i can swing the rear of the cradle down and pull the trans out the side. Here is to hoping lol. Really don't have any kind of definite plan with the car. It is a beautiful car, just brainstorming i guess.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock