3D printing by BabyVet
Started on: 01-25-2015 10:21 AM
Replies: 6 (312 views)
Last post by: Will on 01-27-2015 06:48 PM
BabyVet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if anybody has thought about getting a 3d printer for doing dash swaps or custom interior ideas.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The economics of 3D printing are great for a small area. Many affordable machines will do less than a cubic foot. So instrument panels are out of the question. I suppose the car companies have rigged up a system though....
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they can do THIS, a printed dash would be easy.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would love a printed center console surround that i could use as a buck for vacuum forming
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The economics of 3D printing are great for a small area. Many affordable machines will do less than a cubic foot. So instrument panels are out of the question. I suppose the car companies have rigged up a system though....

With some design work and joint engineering, a 3D printer could produce pieces which could then be joined together to make a much larger assembly than what the printer can make. The joints could be by screws and T-nuts, glue, pop rivets, etc. The printer could easily create alignment pegs and holes...
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya I figured it would help people blend different concepts together to make one and when it's down just sand it to perfection. Than should be easy for people to build one and make them for others possibly
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If someone's going to MAKE a Fiero interior component, I think the market for a 2 or 3 piece DURABLE center console skeleton is much bigger than the market for a replacement dash. And that's the sort of thing that a 3D printer could do an outstanding job of.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-27-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock