how do you know the Getrag TO guide is failing by Rexgirl
Started on: 01-25-2015 04:12 AM
Replies: 9 (205 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 01-29-2015 04:17 PM
Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any noise or other indication the sleeve the throw-out bearing rides on is wearing out? And is there any way to repair it when it fails? Thanks :-)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The guide itself shouldn't wear out as there's very little contact there.
I'd imagine if the grease has dried up on the sleeve you'd hear some metal on metal scraping sounds.

When the TO bearing is failing you could have 1 or all 4 of these symptoms...
1. it's screeching
2. it smells like something is burning when you have the pedal down
3. pedal down the car still wants to creep
4. it's hard to shift into 1st and reverse

If you only have 3 and 4, you may only need to have the clutch hydraulic system flushed and bled properly.
It may have air or moisture in the system. Still it's good to check that first.

My clutch TO bearing failed while sitting at a light. The car suddenly wanted to "get going" even though I had the pedal to the floor.
I was only a few block away from home, but when I got there. I could smell burning clutch and paint (of the pressure plate).
In my case, my throwout bearing collapsed. Only repair is to install a new clutch kit (disc and pressure plate)

More here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129057.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-25-2015).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many miles are on the transmission? I had all sorts of transmission work done on my 87GT at 130,000 miles. I was having shifting issues (hard to shift) and wanted to install a flywheel and since the transmission was off the engine, just as well to do TO, bushings etc.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With a bad bearing sleeve, the throw-out bearing slips off it's fork, preventing the clutch from dis-engaging when you depress the pedal.....so if you are getting a noise associated with the pedal being depressed (engine running).....it might be trouble. That famous and harmless noise associated with the Getrag 282...."the Getrag rattle" has to do with internal gears and shafts.....not the bearing sleeve. That noise shows up when the car is idling in neutral, and goes away when you depress the clutch pedal.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
The guide itself shouldn't wear out as there's very little contact there.

The guide doesn't wear out... it breaks off:

When it does, the clutch can still work for a while but you'll get a vibration in the clutch pedal when you depress the pedal. The guide sleeve centers the throw-out bearing onto the clutch fingers, so once it breaks off, the throw-out bearing is allowed to engage the pressure plate fingers off center. When it does that, the bearing will wobble on the spinning pressure plate transmitting the vibration through the clutch fork, into the slave cylinder, through the fluid, into the master cylinder and finally into the pedal. On the customer's car that I repaired, the wobbling was very obvious at the clutch arm sticking out of the transmission when the clutch pedal was depressed. It would wobble 2 out of every 3 times.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rexgirl:
And is there any way to repair it when it fails? Thanks :-)

There are still a few replacement parts available, but usually they are a part of large, expensive, rebuild kits.

There are no easy ways to repair it...but there is a way.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca....php?products_id=305
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The expensive kit that Gall refers to can be searched on the internet using part number BK234.

If a broken guide does turn out to be the issue, you might find this thread useful: www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/115363.html
Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My transmission has 71 k miles on it. When engaging reverse the first time on some mornings, there is a sound that is like a 'dry plastic-on-metal' that has a slight 4-per-second pulse to it (sorry, it's kind of a squeak but hard to describe). It could be the sound of air under pressure passing by the clutch slave or master seal? If I then turn the engine off immediately and use the clutch pedal, there is no sound. I do have a very slow fluid leak (bleeding required every 900 miles), probably in the slave cylinder, and a Rodney slave is next on my list. The Getrag shifts very nicely other than reverse needing a gentle/slow engagement and has no other noises. Maybe it's a failing throw-out bearing?
As always, thanks so much for all your help guys !
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The chances are that if it were the throw-out bearing that was starting to fail, it wouldn't just make the noise in reverse. Regardless, if it is the bearing, then they generally give a lot more warning before they outright fail. It would make a crunchy, grinding sound every time you pushed the pedal, for as long as you held the pedal down.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

The guide doesn't wear out... it breaks off:

This part appears to be included in this rebuild kit at American Power Train Warehouse.
http://www.americanpowertra...h=&search_query=mr10

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-30-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock