Adding a powered subwoofer by notwohorns
Started on: 01-24-2015 06:24 PM
Replies: 3 (324 views)
Last post by: Shho13 on 01-25-2015 12:26 PM
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have "97 Grand Prix radio with disc in it now. I want to add a power subwoofer to the system. I was wondering how to wire it in. Can anyone help?. Thanks

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 01-24-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will need to run at least an 8 gauge wire off the battery to power the amplifier depending on how much power you want! In your case since you will be using an old factory type head unit, to get the sound to the amplifier you will need to splice off the factory radio output wire that goes to one of the speakers into a line level input on the amplifier. Most newer amps have line level inputs built in with a crossover! Line level inputs may also be called speaker level inputs.

In other words:

Conventionally when you hook up an amp, you get the audio feed from the radio to the amp by using an RCA wire.

Most amps now also allow connection using line level inputs with a built in crossover or "Xover", which means it can take the signal designed for a speaker and use that instead of an RCA. This is so you don't have to upgrade your head unit to one with RCA outputs.

If you have an amp already and it doesn't have the line level inputs, or has line level but doesn't have a built in crossover you will need an external line level converter or an external crossover, respectively. You will still splice off the factory speaker wire to get the feed, only the external converter makes the level into an RCA type connector to allow conventional hook up though RCAs. In this case you will need an external crossover as well. They are what separate the frequencies in the music, making it so your subwoofer wont try to play high pitched singing notes in the most basic terms.

If you need more clarification let me know and I will try my best.

EDIT: Here is a video I found for basic how to
------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 01-24-2015).]

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay and thanks. That make it pretty clear. But, do you need signals from just one speaker or from a left and right speaker to get the base out of them. Then through a crossover to the amp.
Thanks again
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the signal from one speaker will be fine!

Negative, You would hook up the crossover in line with speaker wire before the sub.

Just to save a whole bunch of explaining, can you elaborate on the stuff you want to hook up? Does it have built in high level inputs and a crossover?

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay