Installation of a Turbocharged 3.4L 60 Degree V6 by oldindian46
Started on: 01-23-2015 11:39 AM
Replies: 16 (701 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 01-26-2015 08:12 PM
oldindian46

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldindian46Send a Private Message to oldindian46Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning on installing a 3.4L with turbocharging from a 1990 Turbo Grand Prix 3.1L. Has anyone attempted this before? Looking for do's and don't.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The closest that I can come is using a Mitsubishi turbo on a push rod 3.4 turbo installation. My side scoop is now functional as a cold air intake that will hopefully somewhat improve performance. I used the 19 pound Ford injectors and a customized fuel table to handle a very rich fuel burn issue and have limited the boost to around 7 psi for long term reliability. An intercooler would also be useful but I do not have one on this vehicle.

Nelson
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the TGP stuff would probably work, but be far from ideal, that turbo is small on a 3.1l....

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

oldindian46

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldindian46Send a Private Message to oldindian46Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know turbocharger is small. Budget build. Already have all these parts. Just looking for history at this point
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oldindian46:

I know turbocharger is small. Budget build. Already have all these parts. Just looking for history at this point

the TGP 3.1 swap has been done before, but not a 3.4 with the tgp hardware that I am aware of.

well, here are my thoughts:
power output will probably be about the same as a tgp, you're taking a downgrade with the 3.4 heads and Fiero intake, and the turbo will max out quickly.

you mention budget, you could probably make more power with a stock 3400 or 3500, for a comparable amount of work.

all that being said, I'm pretty sure the 3.1 uses a slightly different exhaust manifold flange than the 3.4, so the manifolds might not even work at all.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

the TGP 3.1 swap has been done before...

See here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-102091.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The TGP manifolds won't even bolt up to iron heads, will they?
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

The TGP manifolds won't even bolt up to iron heads, will they?

I don't think so.

------------------

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I turbo'ed a 3.4 to about ten psi. Was fun to drive, spooled up around 3k and could be a problem going around a turn. I had a heck of time getting the idle right. That was the problem, tuning it all. 80's technology was just new to fuel injection.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my experiences with a turbo 3.1 were with a KKK K3 turbo from an 80's Volvo which is about equivalent to a T3.
I had lots of torque from 1800 rpm on but I believe I ran out of fuel at 4500 rpm. I was at 8 pounds of boost. It was a member's car which I bought. Adjustable FPR with fuel pressure dialed up.
It was using a Buick ESC control module. A knock sensor was added to the block and running an expensive MSD ignition. Not the stock looking coil most people swap out.
Running a stock 87ECM but I can't recall if it was chipped... The Buick ESC module dialed back the timing on the ignition from knock sensor input. I forget what injectors were being used.

I had various issues with it all within a year and eventually replaced it with a Fiero Factory 4.9 installation and sold most of the turbo specific hardware to another forum member.
I of course regret that now. The 4.9 swap was it's own nightmare. The turbo 3.1 made more power...just not as reliably/consistently...

For a 3.4 - get a T3/T4 hybrid or go full T4 or equivalent...and a proper ECM to control it and do your homework on fueling.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 01-24-2015).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since it is coming from a GEN2 3.1, the exhaust ports are probably round (someone please check). However, the manifolds may still not line up when re-connecting to the cross-over after mounting them on iron heads, if that's your intention. If they do, please let us know...if that's your plan. That setup could form the basis of future kits if it does.
PFF
System Bot
Erickson307

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Erickson307Send a Private Message to Erickson307Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
also interested in the findings on this i have a 3.4 and well a turbo couldn't hurt
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erickson307:

also interested in the findings on this i have a 3.4 and well a turbo couldn't hurt

This is the turbo that I am using on a push rod 3.4 engine:

Mitsubishi GSP T3 KKR480 T480 Turbo RB25dt SKYLINE SILVIA

Nelson
Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Since it is coming from a GEN2 3.1, the exhaust ports are probably round (someone please check). However, the manifolds may still not line up when re-connecting to the cross-over after mounting them on iron heads, if that's your intention. If they do, please let us know...if that's your plan. That setup could form the basis of future kits if it does.

they are round, but the bolt pattern for the gen2/3 exhaust flange is taller than the gen1, so they won't bolt on.

------------------

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:
they are round, but the bolt pattern for the gen2/3 exhaust flange is taller than the gen1, so they won't bolt on.

The flange holes can always be slotted...no?

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 01-26-2015).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

The flange holes can always be slotted...no?

it's not impossible, but they are beefy cast iron, machine shop job for sure.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock