Washing fabric upholstery by darbysan
Started on: 01-22-2015 06:41 PM
Replies: 12 (246 views)
Last post by: Ponnari on 01-27-2015 07:07 PM
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought some used cloth seat upholstery, and before I begin installing was wondering if I could (or should) run them through a gentle wash cycle in the washing machine. I know I can clean them after the install, so just curious if this might be a better approach.

------------------
'87 GT in process!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran a set of 88 Beechwood seat covers through a washing machine on gentle a couple of years ago. I let them air dry and they looked pretty decent. I managed to sell them to another PFF member after the wash job and have not had any complaints from him.

Nelson
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am reminded of the car-guy who cleaned his hub caps in the dishwasher. The lady of the house was not impressed. Maybe you don't have that problem, or you use the laundromat.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've washed a few sets without problem.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Washed a set in the home machine. No problem.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have one of the newer washers without an agitator, go for it. I washed what appeared to be a good set in a regular washer and it tore up one of the backs. Since, we have replaced that washer with an agitator-less model and I washed a pair of Saddle Tan covers that were so filthy with hair oil and hair spray on the headrest that they looked chocolate brown. They came out looking like a new pair and without damage.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

If you have one of the newer washers without an agitator, go for it. I washed what appeared to be a good set in a regular washer and it tore up one of the backs. Since, we have replaced that washer with an agitator-less model and I washed a pair of Saddle Tan covers that were so filthy with hair oil and hair spray on the headrest that they looked chocolate brown. They came out looking like a new pair and without damage.

If someone is concerned about this, place the covers in a large pillow case and pin close.

I didn't have any issues with the agitator, but it was on gentle cycle.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the replies. Think I will give it a try. I'll post back with the results. May be a week or two- still awaiting arrival.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd do it... Definitely wouldn't use the dryer though just in case of shrinkage or something! I doubt they are made of cotton and would do so, but better safe than sorry I guess!

Good luck!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I re-installed them Damp, so if they were going to shrink at all, it would be a perfect, tight fit to the seat
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was a great idea! Must have smelled like fabric softener in there for awhile!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I re-installed them Damp, so if they were going to shrink at all, it would be a perfect, tight fit to the seat

best idea.....

Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've cleaned all of mine using a Bissell carpet cleaning machine with the upholstery attachment. No need to remove from car or take covers off seats. Use cold water, 50% Woolite Delicate Care liquid soap and mix in 50% Oxi Clean Laundry Stain Remover liquid. Then rinse with cold water and extract. They come out almost dry and look great!

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock