Ignition Coil Failure by FieroJosh1993
Started on: 01-22-2015 06:28 PM
Replies: 19 (669 views)
Last post by: FieroJosh1993 on 01-28-2015 02:23 PM
FieroJosh1993

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys so when i first got my new engine in the GT 3 months ago the first time i got it to fire up my MSD ignition coil crapped out, bought a new MSD coil and it worked, been running for 3-4 months now, Then yesterday the car died in the middle of the road, got it to my shop and my co worker found that the coil was not putting out a spark but was getting power and has a good ground. So that makes 2 coils in a 3 month period. whats the deal here?? Anyone else have this issue or know the cause??

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you do a search on MSD coils I think you will find a spotty record when it comes to quality control. Those that like them swear by them, but a lot of folks stick with a stock system. The other issue may be too much resistance in your spark plug wires.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-22-2015).]

FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok so just a stock one might work better, I will give it a shot. Thanks
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any chance you've got a ballast resistor in there somewhere?
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is that this guy??

I put a new coil on today and it fired up and ran but then it died again, new coil is dead. Found that the above object in the picture was 1 loose at its bolt position on the block and 2 the wires where melting a little. What is this thing in the pic? is this causing the coil to die every time?? how can I tell if its bad?? and if it is bad where can I get a new one??

Thanks
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the tach filter.... it may be the problem. You can disconnect it, and connect the wires. The car should run, but the tach will be jumpy. Got another coil?
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can get another coil, ive done some research and found that if the ballast resistor is bad the coil will run hotter, but maybe my coils are just burning up. if thats the tach filter, below that you can see that there is another object that the wires run through that might be the ballast resistor. I really dont want to burn up another coil.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't see what's going on on the other end of those white wires....looks a little odd.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the next black section those wires run into is the ballast resistor. so im gonna test the resistor tomorrow with an ohm meter and make sure its good, then make sure i secure the tach filter to the block like it should be and then put a new coil on it. If the ballast resistor tests bad I will replace it.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJosh1993:

the next black section those wires run into is the ballast resistor.

Is there supposed to be a ballast resistor on there?

I don't recall seeing a ballast resistor on any of the three 2.8 Fieros (2x '86 and 1x '88) I have here.

Maybe you could take a better picture of this ballast resistor you've got so we can have a look at it.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-23-2015).]

FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
will do.
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieros did not have ballast resistors in the ignition system. They went away in the 70's........
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Fieros did not have ballast resistors in the ignition system.

That's what I figured (just from observing my own Fieros). We'll have to see a picture of whatever it is that the OP has.
Yannsky

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YannskySend a Private Message to YannskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi

Looks like the tach filter?
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so it is a tach filter. I don't have a ballast resistor. My next question is , can a bad tach filter cause the ign coil to burn up like it has 3 times now. Really need to find the cause of the coils burning up. I did replace my radio I have double checked all the wires and everything is good. So its something else, I check all the fuses and none are bad. The only Hong I can see is the tach filter wasn't grounded to the block and the wires are melting. Is this the cause??? Thanks
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No wires should melt, so something is not right. I would get another tach filter and review this thread for other causes.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-111313.html
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Test the failed coils and post up the results.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJosh1993:
can a bad tach filter cause the ign coil to burn up like it has 3 times now.

Yes. Dead/dieing filter will "short" to ground and keep power flowing thru the coil.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome thanks guys, I ordered a new filter from Rodney. I will take the coils to a parts store and get them tested on Monday.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just wanted to close this topic, got the GT running today, put the new tach filter on and new coil and she fired right up and stayed running.

Thanks again guys

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock