V6 water pump by Csjag
Started on: 01-19-2015 10:42 AM
Replies: 8 (599 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 01-20-2015 07:00 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to be changing out the water pump on my 85 GT. I plan on using the RTV gasket maker made for that purpose. Dos anyone here know if I need to also use the gasket that came with the new pump or just the RTV?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always used both. Used RTV to bind the new gasket to the pump to make installation easier.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Permatex High tack sealant, vs RTV to seal gasket. But I think either work fine for waterpump.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 01-19-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay thanks
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
I used Permatex High tack sealant, vs RTV to seal gasket. But I think either work fine for waterpump.

High Tack is made for use w/ most gaskets.
Don't use RTV on most Gaskets.

There's some exceptions but above work on many parts.
A common exception is many oil pan sets. You often need some RTV at spot where two parts of gasket splices or overlap.

Some gaskets are installed totally Dry. If you use any sealer then very likely will have problems.
Duke intake manifold is one.
Duke normal valve cover gasket can use High Tack but Felpro best gasket goes dry.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I have is blue rtv silicone gasket maker, the instructions don't mention using the gasket they say to apply a bead to one surface, assemble while still wet, finger tighten until material squeezes out around flange and torque to specs after it dries for an hour. It also says not to put into service or expose to fluid for 24 hours
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most RTV have same directions.

Most used far too much RTV...
What's leftover you see, about same amount squeezed out inside too. Booger can get loose anytime after and then blocks coolant or oil passages.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few years ago I heard that the blue RTV when combined with aluminium parts caused head gasket leaks. I haven't heard anymore about it but I quit using it to be safe.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 01-20-2015).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

I agree on this... for thin gaskets like that, you're much better off just spraying the adhesive on the gasket, rather than using RTV. You could use RTV and work it into the gasket with your fingers... that way you don't have a HUGE bead of silicone / RTV inside the water pump chamber... basically, just wear a neoprene glove, and work a little bit of the RTV into the gasket on both sides until the entire thing is tacky.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock