Clutch Issues by B3mith
Started on: 01-17-2015 04:55 PM
Replies: 11 (175 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 01-18-2015 11:23 PM
B3mith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently bought an 86 GT with 3800 SC from my brother in law. It has the 5 speed in it. I had set for a few years with a bad fuel pump, but I got it up and running. So I took it for a test drive and made it about a mile and it ran fine, but when I stopped to turn around it wouldn't go into gear. I check the clutch fluid and its full. Its pretty nasty looking though. And ideas what could have happened that it went from driving fine to not disengaging the clutch? I can still shift through the gears when the car isn't running but if i put in in gear and try to start it lurches forward.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is something that has been discussed in these forums about a billion times.

Air can be drawn into the clutch hydraulic system very quickly when there's a problem. It usually occurs at the slave. If this is what's happened with your Fiero, I'd suggest getting the double seal slave cylinder form Rodney Dickman.
B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to bleed the system tomorrow and see if that helps. Is there anything else I should look into? I really appreciate the help.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Air has gotten into your clutch hydraulics. It's probably the seal on the slave cylinder. It could be corrosion, or a bad line, or a loose fitting....but because the car has been sitting for a while, the seal is the prime suspect. Bleeding the clutch can be an adventure...there are many threads and opinions on how to do it in the archives.....but probably not a billion.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

...there are many threads and opinions on how to do it in the archives.....but probably not a billion.

It's close.

B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im looking at Rodney's site now. I may just order the slave rebuild kit.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by B3mith:

Im looking at Rodney's site now. I may just order the slave rebuild kit.

You need to be certain then that the bore in the slave cylinder is absolutely perfect. Otherwise, you'll be cursing the fact you didn't buy the whole thing.

For those of us who've experienced the frustrations of air in the Fiero's clutch hydraulic system (and that includes me years ago), buying Rodney's replacement slave cylinder is the way to go. It's worth every cent.
B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You need to be certain then that the bore in the slave cylinder is absolutely perfect. Otherwise, you'll be cursing the fact you didn't buy the whole thing.

For those of us who've experienced the frustrations of air in the Fiero's clutch hydraulic system (and that includes me years ago), buying Rodney's replacement slave cylinder is the way to go. It's worth every cent.

OK, I will take the slave cylinder off tomorrow and take it apart to inspect it. If it looks questionable I will just order the whole thing. I thank you guys very much. I'm new to the Fiero game, but it was this forum that made me get into it!!! Im sure I will have more questions down the road.
B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered a slave from Rodney today.
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by B3mith:

I ordered a slave from Rodney today.

Rodney's slave is better than the stock unit so you can't go wrong with your choice. Completely bleed out your system to remove all that old contaminated fluid.
B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, I will do that.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Generally the cause of hydraulic failure when a car has been sitting or a long time is that condensation will pit the bore and varnish will build up in the bore of the MC or slave. It only takes a few operations of the clutch to wear a spot in the seals and they start to leak fluid or pull air. Your problem could be either the MC or slave. The black fluid you encountered is deterioration of the rubber parts in the system. When flushing and refilling, do not use the newer DOT 5 fluids. DOT 3 preferred and DOT 4 max.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock